I have the original tractor size belt on my car, albeit a toothed type, it is correctly tensioned, driving on the sides of the pulleys as it should and the pulleys are properly aligned. I cannot hear it on the move but sitting at idle I am conscious of a slight chattering noise, not really a squeal. If the hood is raised it is very evident. A slight spray of WD40 on the belt eliminates the noise instantly but it returns within minutes.

It's not a big deal but does anyone have a more long lasting or, even better, permanent solution?

Tim

Tim,

I would start by using a stethoscope (£5 - ebay)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/231467678060?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006790&poi=&campaignid=620865095&device=c&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484318226&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Or a convenient chunk of wood / large screwdriver to ear and tracking down where the noise is actually coming from.

Alan

I had the same problem and a squirt of belt dressing, from the agricultural store, sorted it out .

We need to use the cars more.

Try belt dressing and your problem will be over.

Yours, Richard & H.

If it's a Flennor cogged fanbelt then the tooth size and pitch on current belts is different from the earlier versions (larger and about 20% fewer teeth on the later ones).

The first one I had was silent but the replacement does seem to make a bit of noise - at least when first fitted.

Doc Schraeder, my automotives prof from university many decades ago used to say "when a belt starts talkin' to ya, it's time to replace it." My experience over the years has proven him right -- as he was in just about everything automotive.

Tim,

I would start by using a stethoscope (£5 - ebay)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/231467678060?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006790&poi=&campaignid=620865095&device=c&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484318226&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Or a convenient chunk of wood / large screwdriver to ear and tracking down where the noise is actually coming from.

Alan

Personally I would be very wary about sticking a stethoscope around a running engine, especially in the fan / pulleys area.

Surely we need to be careful about what we advise people to do on this forum with regard to safety?

Edited by boxofbits

Most wide belts are made and used in industrial applications not for automotive use. The only true fix is to convert to the 1/2 ins belt and pulleys, once done it will be one of those things where you wonder why you diddent do it much earlier. If combined with a damped pulley and ditching the original fan extension then smoother running is a bonus and an electric fan will mean for the first time in its life the engine will run at its optimum operating temp. Of course it won't be original anymore, but then if you must have original you get the original glitches and noises as well.

Personally I would be very wary about sticking a stethoscope around a running engine, especially in the fan / pulleys area.

Surely we need to be careful about what we advise people to do on this forum with regard to safety?

Have you ever seen an engineer's stethoscope?

Where the 'chestpiece' is on the medical version, there is a long probe.

That's what you listen with.

It's a bit more precise than the long screwdriver or wooden batten. And as my old consultant used to say, it's not what you hear through the guessing tubes, it's knowing where to listen.

John

I'd *much* rather have a featherweight tube on one of those automotive stethoscopes get caught in a belt or fan than a block of wood or a screwdriver. Those latter items could become projectiles with significantly greater hazard than the light extension tube.

Indeed, one should be careful in making recommendations without fully considering risk.

Edited by Don H.

why would a stethoscope or a bit of wood be needed, Tim already knows that the noise is coming from the fan belt - when he sprays it with WD40 it goes away, albeit temporarily.

I had a noisy (schreeching) fan belt on my car and eventually I changed the belt, even though the other one was nearly new, and increased the tension slightly. Together these measures seem to have worked.

So I'd go for a change of belt as a start.

Rgds Ian

PS I didn't find the stethoscope much use for tracking down fan belt initiated noises, tappets and timing chains yes but not fan belts.