A completely new idea for how to fix the problem of sub-standard parts is being considered by the club.

The idea was conceived by me, but 'TR GOLD' is an idea now owned by the TR Register, and can only succeed if the TR Register decide to adopt this idea and make it work.

I would therefore like the Forum to discuss this idea, and give feedback as the idea is developed to a sufficient stage to run as a test in real life.

Consider the following:

TR GOLD is about quality not price, and about the part itself, not the supplier who sells it.

TRR will promote a TR GOLD standard for parts that are identical in look, specification, performance and durability to the original part from the factory.

TRR will produce badges/logos that immediately distinguish these parts anywhere the badge appears.

The badges can be used in advertising, leaflets, websites and on the parts packaging.

In order to use the badges any supplier of parts will have to sign an agreement with TRR.

The concept will be taken up by suppliers of their own volition wishing to show the TR GOLD logo on the parts they sell that meet that standard.

A higher TR PLATINUM standard and logo can go on parts with quality and performance that demonstrably exceeds the OE spec.
TR SILVER standard can be used on parts that are known to be fit for purpose but which do not meet the demanding scrutiny required by TR GOLD.

Any parts failing to meet these 3 categories cannot show the TR GOLD/SILVER/PLATINUM badge on their packaging, branding, advertising, website or anywhere else.

Buyers will make their own judgement about parts without these logos but over time will come to realise they may be cheap, but may also not be fit for purpose.

TRR will not have to witch hunt bad parts, the suppliers will have to explain to their customers why some of their parts do not at least carry the TR SILVER badge.

As owner of the TR GOLD brand TRR can promote TR GOLD parts to our membership, simultaneously showing we are committed to quality, while offering exclusive discounts on those parts to members only.

We will be able to do that because suppliers will approach us to promote their best parts knowing we have the trust and support of 6,000 members to guide them which parts they should buy.

Buying parts from the supplier in our promotion will mean everyone wins - the supplier might get more business,TRR might get a commission, TRR Members might get a discount - but EVERYONE will know the part is what it says it is.

Not because the supplier says it is. Not because the manufacturer says it is. Not even because the owner of the Triumph factory brand and trademark says it is.

But because respected members of TRR say it is.

If that same part is available elsewhere it could also show the TR GOLD logo, and the buyer will always be free to compare supplier prices, service etc. before making a decision where to buy it.

But remember:

No supplier can use the badges unless they have signed an Agreement with TRR.

And no part can carry any badges unless the part has been signed off by TRR Members, who ALL agree it is up to the quality standard claimed.

TRR has 6,000 members, and ALL of them have to spend lots of money on TR Parts.

Anybody who needs TR Parts currently has no idea which parts they should use, unless they have personal experience or know someone who has.

So maybe 50,000 people in the world are buying TR parts just hoping they are the right ones.

And TRR is the only organisation in the world that can and should fix that problem.

Edited by Paul Harvey
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my Vote,

Gold = great idea

Platignum and silver, might be a bit more fussy, for the 'Ordinary' TR Driver, pay a premium and get a

guaranteed quality part

is the answer.

John.

+1

A great idea, but I'd just stick with the 'gold' standard. I certainly don't mind paying extra if I know it's a quality part.

If you want an 'original' part TR GOLD is the part you want.

If you want a cheaper part that does the job, TR SILVER will not let you down.

If you want a part that is 'better' than original TR PLATINUM meet those expectations.

Some TR PLATINUM parts may actually be cheaper than the same part in TR GOLD because if it looks different, it cannot be TR GOLD.

Some TR PLATINUM parts may be very expensive, but that is for the buyer to decide.

Some TR SILVER parts may be the only choice if that part in TR GOLD is no longer available, and nobody makes it because not enough people were prepared to pay the premium on price.

TR GOLD may actually be the only part available anyway, because it is and always was available sensibly priced, and nobody wanted anything different.

That same part might also be TR PLATINUM if the factory part was later found to be sub-standard in use, and is no longer available for that reason.

What is for certain is that nobody will be selling TR GOLD, SILVER OR PLATINUM parts who is not signed up to the TR GOLD scheme with TRR.

Edited by Paul Harvey

TR GOLD parts will have to pass the scrutiny of a team of respected TRR experts.

The part either is or is not to OE = TR GOLD standard.

TR GOLD does not concern itself with who made the part, what other names may be on the part, or whether the part claims to be certified by anyone else.

Whether it says 'Lucas,' Triumph Original Part,' 'Stanpart,' 'Heritage Approved Part,' or anything else is irrelevant to TR GOLD.

TRR will only allow sellers who directly sign the TR GOLD legally binding Terms and Conditions to use the badges and logos and sell those parts.

Those sellers will agree a fee with TRR for such rights.

Those sellers will self police the parts they say meet out standards because otherwise we will not approve them to use our badges.

If they put those badges on parts we have not approved they will be breaking our Terms & Conditions, and they certainly will not be able to advertise them in our own promotions until all the parts they want to promote have passed our scrutiny.

Every single part they want to sell under the scheme will have to be approved by us.

If a seller outside the scheme knows they have TR GOLD parts they want to sell, all they have to do is approach the TR GOLD team and ask how they go about it.

They cannot sell parts with TR GOLD badges just because they are the same parts without joining the scheme first.

Only the best suppliers will want to join the scheme.

Those suppliers will use their own considerable resources to make sure rogues do not get away with claiming to sell parts carrying the TR GOLD badges.

Those suppliers will help TRR to take action against anybody abusing their scheme.

If those suppliers have different parts carrying the same part number, they will have to get their act together and identify only those individual parts which meet the TR GOLD standards.

They will sell the parts and be entirely responsible for the claims they make.

It will be a condition of the scheme that buyers get refunds and compensation if they buy parts with those badges which turn out not to be what the badges say they are.

TRR will have a simple online complaints procedure for any buyer who feels they have been misled.

Scheme sellers will be stupid to break the rules, because they will eliminated from the scheme if it turns out they do not or cannot self-police the parts they sell.

All a buyer has to do is look for the badges, and they will know for sure they are buying the quality of parts they want.

Edited by Paul Harvey

A good idea.

Q. How would the 'standards' and 'branding' be protected??

There would (I think) need to be fairly rigourous monitoring of quality and 'recognised' stockists, or the pirates will soon try to get 'in'!

Q. Will stockists be required to sign up to a 'proper' returns/warranty regime?

Paul,

Excellent idea!

And I'm not knocking it, honest, but where will the money come from?

The model must be the Consumers Association, that tests every sort of household item. They have over 600,000 subscribers to Which? magazine, paying £100 a year as their subscription, so a rough annual income of £60,000,000.

I don't know how much they spend on testing compared to their other expenses, and they do a lot more testing of a lot more different items, but that needs staff and laboratories to do it.

How will the TRR test the items? Who will test them? And how will the testing be paid for?

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Excellent idea Paul, sooner the better. This may also help to encourage new members, with an additional bonus to club membership.

Cheers.

Paul, I'm assuming the TRR membership's ratings won't come for free to the suppliers who use them?

1. Have you gotten any voice of the customer from these folks? Will they support a buy-in program? TR owners are notoriously cheap -- true since the cars were new, in fact. It surprises me sometimes how little people are prepared to spend over here. Our cars aren't yet Jaguar-class collectibles. (smile)
  2. Given that many parts are produced by some Geppetto in who-knows-where, and the same part is sold by multiple retailers, who exactly IS the customer for the "Gold" program? Is it the producer, who would then sublicense the TRR rating to the retailer? Is it the retailer, who would be expected to get a higher price for "best" parts? What about the scenario where the same part is sold by multiple suppliers and some pay for the rating and others don't? What incentive would there be to direct business to the ones who pay program fees to the TRR?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your concept, and this will be supported solely from membership funds.
  3. Unanimity seems too high a standard. Perhaps it's some sort of percentage rating, where values above a certain value fall into a certain category?
  4. Who sets the standards? For example, will "Gold" be correct in all respects, such as LUCAS imprinting? Is it realistic to assume original brand owners will allow their names to be used for "Gold" production? If not, is it realistic to expect full-concours-OK appearance?

Good idea to be talking about -- don't get me wrong at all, I like it -- but let's get this right before we get too ambitious.

How would the ongoing quality of the gold parts be ensured. Regular auditing of the manufacturers industry standards and procedures would be the normal method but then would the suppliers do this and do the manufacturers work to any laid down procedures, particularly overseas manufacturers. It would certainly have significant cost implications.

I am not knocking this initiative and think it would be of definite benefit to us but wonder if the maintenance of it would be cost effective.

Alan.

Thats quality control but the problem is that we do not have even

fixed data to control for standard deviation.

They simply sell scrap with absolutely no measurement data even

within 1 Sigma.

Just pulled out the MOSS bushed rockers including shaft after only

10.000 miles out of my TR6. Its simply scrap that is not hardened at all!

Not the rocker tips and not the shaft! Fully worn and ready for the bin!

I would be very happy with such a GOLD badge and I am willing to pay more.

In my opinon it would help to start with the gold badge and do silver and platinium

maybe later when the system works and is established and accepted.

We could all think of ifs, buts, caveats, anomalies, difficulties, problems, and a thousand and one reasons why not. Not least the gradual decline of the former 'recognised supplier scheme'.

That's fine in its way, identifying potential pitfalls in advance ought to help us avoid at least some of them, and progress all the better for the advance warnings.

Let's remember that all great oaks grew from little acorns, and neither Rome nor London was built in a day, or even a century. But like Topsy, they just growed.

Keep it simple stupid, start small and sensible with achievable aims rather than grand designs, focus on particular product areas and get those right, then progress from there.

The idea is sound, it's worth running with, just as long as we can learn to walk the walk before attempting the marathon.

Keep at it, Paul.

Cheers

Alec

Ah, you Lancastrians had it good. We on the frontier had only loo paper to make our own parts, used at that. And it wasn't even ours! Try to tell a kid today and they won't believe ya... :D

" We on the frontier had only loo paper to make our own parts "

Gee thanks Don, that's another of my illusions gone west.

I always wondered what the kings of the wild frontier carried in their knapsacks . . . . . along with the musket, the Bowie knife, the coonskin cap, chewing tobacco, medicinal whiskey and all . . . .

Now I know . . . . . bog roll. :lol::lol::lol:

For us Lancastrians, old newspapers were a luxury . . . . :P

Cheers

Alec

Great concept if the parts can really be vetted according to expectations, and the process monitored to detect lapses.

In production the costs associated with ensuring such quality were borne by vastly greater volume. I wonder where that wherewithal will come from... :unsure:

Cheers,

Tom