Wire Wheel balancing

Hello,

My TR6 1969 which is fitted with wire wheels has a really bad wobble or vibration through the steering wheel between 50-60 and then again at 70.No difference if I dip the clutch so don't think its the drive train.

I've swapped front to back but no real difference.

My local tyre fitter said they could have a go at balancing on the machine but don't have any specific adapters for wires.

Is it worth having a conventional balance or trying to track down someone who can balance wires?

I'm in Mid Wales about an hour from Cardiff Swansea or Hereford.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

David.

Balancing without the proper adaptors is a waste of time. I've found that just taking the weights off will get you a lot closer than balancing without the correct kit; give it a try.

I took along a new set of Yoko's to fit to a repainted set of 4.5 inch Mini wheels a couple of months ago.

I asked for them to be balanced which they did.

When I drove the car there was a real shudder at around 60mph, and when I drove towards my mate's garage he said one of the front wheels was seriously buckled. Sure enough it was about a 7mm run out when checked.

Fortunately the rims were parallel but the wheel centre was slightly out of true, so we managed to straighten it. After I took it back to the tyre fitters and asked him how on earth he had managed to balance it if it was so buckled?

He replied that all the machine does is balance the tyre to the wheel, so it would not have picked up the severe buckle in the wheel. To me that seems ridiculous that you can balance a tyre to a badly buckled wheel, but apparently you can!

Edited by boxofbits

A good tyre fitter will spin the wheel by hand on the machine and do a visual check for buckle but to make sure, I always ask them to, before proceeding with the balance.

I made my own conical adapters for a previous wire wheel car, without these, balancing makes no sense.

Thanks all for your comments. Its pretty much as I was expecting and looks like I need to get a set of cone adapters. I will try taking the weights off as Drewmotty suggests as it can't be much worse than it is now.

Has anyone tried the manual bubble balancing tool that is advertised on the net? It looks abit basic but a few people have said it is quite effective if done properly?

This topic comes up from time to time, I had no joy from the local tyre company and went back to the supplier MWS to balance them, which was very inconvenient.

If someone in the register had the equipment they could manufacture some adaptors which could be used at the local balancing company.

I am sure that members would like to purchase such adaptors as I havn't seem them advertised.

They don't look too complicated and may be something the register could look into.

regards Lee

When we were young....

My local TR Register group used to have a few of the more useful tools, like front suspension compressor, compression gauge etc available for rent/loan to local group members. Is this something local groups could reintroduce and earn money for the local group?

The wire wheel balancing kit from the M(G)oaner's Club looks an ideal candidate.

While you are at it think about a set or two of LHD headlamps - I used to do a roaring trade in them years ago as rental items over the counter at C&B.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Just as an addition to this topic Fossway Performance do a kit for 52mm and 42mm hubs

cost is £95 +vat they are available separately

contact 01386 426249

e-mail simon@fosswayperformance>.co.uk

Info supplied by a reliable TRreg member

regards Lee

Hello,

My TR6 1969 which is fitted with wire wheels has a really bad wobble or vibration through the steering wheel between 50-60 and then again at 70.No difference if I dip the clutch so don't think its the drive train.

I've swapped front to back but no real difference.

My local tyre fitter said they could have a go at balancing on the machine but don't have any specific adapters for wires.

Is it worth having a conventional balance or trying to track down someone who can balance wires?

I'm in Mid Wales about an hour from Cardiff Swansea or Hereford.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

David

I used to have a MGB with wire wheels and the only way to cure the problem was to get the wheels balanced on the car. I managed to get this done at a National Tyre's place and took ages but I was only charged the standard fee.

I used to have a MGB with wire wheels and the only way to cure the problem was to get the wheels balanced on the car.

Agree thats why I bought a Hoffmann Finishbalancer from a tire-shop.

So I can say that every pick of and refit of a wire wheel causes a

improper balance where 15 grams are normal.

Often there is an imbalance because the wire wheel is not fully centered.

I would match the wheels and the hubs to the best balance and mark hub

and wheels to allow a proper refit.