Loss of power

Travelling to Portsmouth to catch ferry this morning. Tavelled 250miles yesterday no problems in warm weather. Today did 50miles then when pulling out of a service station started running on only 3 cylinders. Persevered and the 4th kicked in after about a mile or two. Another 50miles to ferry then when idling at the port it happened again. Heavy on the throttle and it cleared again. On the boat to Spain now. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Dave

Points/condensor/coil

Steve

Electronic. I'll try the plugs. Then the coil.

Now - beer!

Thanks

Dave

Checked plugs this morning. 3 good ones. nr 2 was black and oily. Cleaned up and did about 40 miles at slowish speeds. All seemed good. Will check again tomorrow before a 150 mile journey from Spain to France.

Dave

The small graphite rod in the centre of the distributor cap is a "service item" because it wears gradually. In so doing, it sheds very fine particles inside the cap and, of course, this dust (like the rod itself) conducts electricity, so can short out the HT spark.

Every so often, one should clean the inside of the cap to remove this dust.

And when the rod wears to almost nothing, it should be replaced (Distributor Doctor, of course!).

Ian Cornish

Running on 3 again yesterday after idling in the border queue between Spain and France. Clears after a few minutes running. Today plan to change plug and check dizzy cap.

Other than that ran beautifully for 200 miles yesterday.

Dave

Today replaced all 4 plugs, cleaned dizzy connections, and topped up dash pots.

Of the old plugs, 1 and 2 were much darker than 3 and 4 which were very light. Also front carb

dash pot had pretty well no oil left in, whereas rear was still good. So is this looking like a carb/mixture issue?

Dave

Had a thought while pacing around the pool. Checked the coke cable and it would appear it was stuck partially engaged I. E. The choke was always a bit on. Fidled around a bit and now seems to return fully.

I'm guessing this was not going to help while idling in traffic.

Bingo !

Exactly matches a problem I had a couple of years ago. Difficult to spot, had to put my hand under the choke and manually check it was fully returned, front carb for me with matching dirty plugs

Cleaned and lubed and return action checked. Never came back but I do now clean and check the return cam all the time :ph34r:

Hope it solved your problem, enjoy the rest of your trip (and let us know)

Cleaned, greased, oiled choke components and did 100 miles with stops and tractors today, no problems. Wedding anniversary today, I remembered, wife forgot. Result. . As compensation the waitress in the restaurant was absolutely stunning.

Dave

Done about 1000 miles since leaving home. Tomorrow we set off from France to Spain for a few days in a parador. We will see if the loss of power problem is fixed. About 220 miles tomorrow.

Bit of an oil leak from the front of the engine. Steering wheel squeals a bit when you turn it. Otherwise all good!

Dave

Hi Dave,

the usual cause of steering wheel squeal is the brass spring horn contact.

Take of the horn push and pull out the brass thingy.

If you have no copperease grease or similar then a smidge of butter.

If it's not the brass thingy then is the steering wheel hub rubbing on the column - this could cause the horn to go off.

Could be the upper bush in the steering column.

Roger

Thanks Roger. 247 miles today, no problems, squeaky wheel excepted. Safely in the parador. Car in the garage out of three rain.

If you type parador it insists on turning it into paradox. There's a conundrum.

Dave

On the bilbao to Portsmouth ferry today. Loss of power problems have not reappeared despite ferry terminal queues. Must have been the partially stuck choke. Now got a gearbox oil leak. Must top it up in England.

Dave.

And we are back in the Isle of Man. I'll do some tools/spares/problems info, maybe a couple of pics, in At the Bar, in a day or two.

Thanks for your on-line help while we were away.

Regards

Dave

====