After months of work my hydraulic seas have given up on the clutch. I went to Moss and bought the repair pack. I had to buy two for the master cylinder as there are two sizes. One pack can be returned.

The help I need is in identifying the cylinder on the car. The only number that I can read is 310 680 004 Girling.

How can i find out the bore size.

Thanks

Richard& H

Assuming the car is post TS13046 it should have a 3/4" (0.75") bore, Girling part number 64067854 . . . . .

Given that a £10 seal kit has about a 25% chance, at best, of lasting more than a couple of hundred miles then why prat about - just replace the cylinder for £30.

Cheers

Alec

I think that there was a thread here about the new cylinders. One of our American friends dismantled a new cylinder and discovered a number of defects.

I am keen to repair mine and get the car on the road.

thanks

Richard & H.

Original Girling items may well be of better calibre, but the likelihood is that they need to go to Past Parts or whoever for resleeving before being fit for purpose . . . . .

Having just stripped several old Girling 5/8" masters, I can't say that I'm overly impressed with OE quality versus the repro items I've seen.

At least some of our enthusiast friends over the water seem to regard original items with rose-tinted spectacles . . . or maybe distance lends enchantment.

Cheers

Alec

I dont bother to fit kits to masters anymore as they never last that long before needing doing again so always fit new cylinders, TR Shop supplied ones have been fine for me.

Stuart.

I changed the seal in the slave cylinder and now I have a clutch pedal. The master cylinder is to be left alone for now.

The angle of the slave push rod is steep and I am sure that is why the seal gave up. Tomorrow I will move it to the lower hole on the lever arm, unless there is a good reason not to. The piston was shiny on one side. Please let me know if I will be causing a problem in any other area, pedal travel etc.

However made it to the tyre fitter and back without breaking down, 4 miles in total, so we should now be ready for CLM and IWE. I would have liked a bit more testing.

Master cylinder next year.

Thanks

Richard & H.

Edited by Richardtr3a