Thats not a bad number really, we have at least 8 down here of which 4 are longdoor.

Stuart

Seems like quite a good number, Stuart. If one assumes 10% of the original run of c 8636 TR2s stayed in the home market, that's about a 50% "survival" rate over 60+ years. Obviously there have been a lot of repatriations over the years, but that's still a decent representation of the model.

Thanks, Alec. 1/3 of the early cars staying home is higher than the conventional wisdom, at least over the full sidescreen production run. Quite a bit higher in fact. Makes the survivor ratio (even including re-imports) a lot more reasonable.

Mine is a repatriated car, still LHD, BRG, not quite the same BRG as built, don't like that early BRG

There were quite a few in the parade of TR2s at Malvern a couple of years ago, someone put a picture up please!

There should be another UK TR2 going on to that list shortly.

I am around 2 months away from finishing mine.

An original uK matching numbers car that has not been seen since being laid up in 1972 so not accounted for as licensed or SORN.

As for How many left, about 6 years ago a friend asked me to find & completely restore a GT6.

I was not particularly looking for one but the car I found and restored is a Mk1.

Got a bit of a shock when I found there were only 14 of those!

Steve

post-13767-0-65952600-1466442255_thumb.jpg

My 2 was Red originally, built 27th September '55 and not registered until the December, well into TR3 production.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone with a later TR2, running or not.

Cheers

Bob

Alec is correct....far more TR2s, as a percentage of production, stayed in the UK than did TR3/3As......in fact, the TR2 is, and always has been, quite rare in the USA, as the cars went all over the World, as a glance at the figures in my various books will show. Only by the time of the 3A was 90% of production reaching the USA......

Again , for this reason, comparatively few TR2s have been repatriated over the years....nothing like the numbers of TRs made in later years...

I estimate that around 30% of TR2 production survives worldwide (maybe 2600-2800 cars), of which maybe 1000 or so exist (but are NOT necessarily registered, so don't be fooled by dvla figures) in the UK....Bill P.

Interesting to note, and as Bill alludes to, another 42 TR2's turned up on the records between 2010 and 2015. But with the advent of SORN in 2007, this must be a significant factor in the gradual rise.

Probably not an exhaustive record of the number still in the UK until they are eventually recorded as either taxed or SORN, so wonder what the true figure is?

Edited by boxofbits

If 1000 TR2s still exist in the UK,, that implies that more than half are neither taxed nor SORN'd - and have not been on the road for decades, otherwise DVLA would be aware..

I find that hard to swallow, unless we include logbooks lying the back of drawers waiting to be recreated into a facsimile or a ringer one fine day ?

Cheers

Alec

My 1954 '2, that I bought when a student in 1980, was taken off the road in 1987 - well before the need to SORN -, and "reappeared" in 2011 after I finally got my finger out and organised a 4 year rebuild.

I imagine that there were/are more like mine patiently waiting their turn.

Rod