Gearbox cover sealant

I am just about to re-fit the cardboard gearbox cover with new rubber seals but was wondering what sealant to use on both sides of the rubber

Don't want to use Sikaflex as I think that will be too permanent but not sure general silicone is the answer

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Barry

Sidescreen cars have steel tunnels and do not have seals like the moderns.

So to stop the fumes I have used gaffer tape round all the edges/seams and also secure the gearstick gaiter edges with it.

Not pretty when the carpet is out, but quite functional and not permanent so it is mendable in the future.

Peter W

If I was you I would try with no sealant.

If you are using your original fibreboard tunnel using a sealant on the gasket to tunnel face would most likely end up with you ruining it should you have to remove again.

A good quality gasket properly fitted should be enough but if you do find a leak try sealing from underneath along the lip.

Steve

Guys

Try a stick on P shaped rubber seal from the likes of screwfix/toolstation and stick it to the floor - taking apart is easy, works a treat and cheap as chips - I'm no good at posting links on here but hopefully somebody will

They are available in different sizes and colours - used for draught proofing windows/doors etc - useful in lots of TR applications.

cheers

Rich