Huge amount of TR's out at the Spa Summer Classic

Nice Christian, engine sounds strong.

Mick Richards

Yes enjoyed that.

(Noticed the tell-tale signs of yet another impatient one getting on the throttle too quickly out of T9.)

So much grip Chris. Looks like it is basically just Super Glued to the road. Mind having seen those tyres!

I could not wait to get out of the place though. A weekend wasted and best forgotten about ASAP.

So much grip Chris. Looks like it is basically just Super Glued to the road. Mind having seen those tyres!

I could not wait to get out of the place though. A weekend wasted and best forgotten about ASAP.

Jon, the grip was okay, not to say excellent. Only the driver didn't dare to use it.

What has happened with your weekend? Any good stories to tell?

come on jon , not like you to hold back on a good story.

Not wishing to obstruct your forgetting of the weekend .Was it weather / car / mechanical or driver ? hope the car is in one piece and was it TR or TVR

ROY

Bit of all of those. Having not been there before I needed the track time, Did 4 full laps and on 5th Joe dumped oil and spun off with me next car round on that corner. Car fin,e but just into the kitty litter, could not get out, marshals helped by by time car running (to 10 - 15 mins to get it going as hot and I think too much fuel pressure do not great starting when hot (back off a tad for the race helped)). Position ok, but race one on Sat wet! (can you imagine a car worse suited to a wet Spa but a crazy power tiny wheelbase TVR with not much tyre! (plus I had put on harder springs on the front since last test outing in TSCC race, seem right thing so do, might well have been in the dry. Tyres were new 032's. Anyway, even on the parade lap I had zero grip front or back and waved most of the cars past before the rolling start (even the course car!), So less grip than I have ever had in a car, for maybe 15 mins plus could not see out of the car AT ALL, they mist SO BAD in damp conditions and to be just impossible (had bought a heated screen a few weeks before but not had enough time to get the bloody thing fitted - would not have helped that much though with No grip. Eventually thought this is stupid, I am going round half as fast as anyone else (I have run the car in pissing rain at Silv GP last year (30 min race) and it was at least driveable. Here, I was just a danger to me and everyone else so parked it at 15mins, which was when I was going to do the pitstop.

R2 on Sunday, Dry, changed back front spring back to the softer ones and damper settings as per Donington 3-4 weeks back and kind of looking forward to learning track in the dry from the back and at least making something of the weekend, then on green flag, a ticking noise appeared over the top of the otherwise fine sounding engine, then just before the chicane / pit in before the rolling start I saw oil pressure dropping, through it into pit and turned it off as soon as out of the single file bit. Had 20-25 psi, but was dropping, so another 10 secs might well have killed it. Hopefully an oil pump drive or dizzy connection or some such and a straight forward fix (fingers X'd) - going in next week to sort.

So all in all 4 days wasted. I was expecting to be way more amazed at the track.... Not in my top 3. If I go next year it will be in the TR6. If.......

Hi Jon,

nothing is wasted. You've got a first impress of the track and you found things out about your car.

Next time more luck and a bottle of rain-X

Cheers

Chris

" I was expecting to be way more amazed at the track.... Not in my top 3 ! "

If you'd been going properly you might have been more impressed.

Spa isn't a track for a half-cock outing, and rain is the rule rather than the exception.

Cheers

Alec

A few bent tr,s coming home from Spa!

Yes, mine was one of them.

After rectifying a problem which showed itself in the untimed Thursday test session I was reasonably satisfied when I qualified 14th out of 65 on Friday.

Saturday dry until we were leaving collection area to grid up.

By time of rolling start Very Heavy rain. 5 good laps then lost it on a left hander. Just snapped round on me and went backwards into tyre wall at a point where only approx. 8 ft wide grass verge at edge of track, then wacked drivers side against tyre wall.

Race over.

Extensive damage to rear boot/wings, snapped steering rack.

Currently assessing damage and repairs required.

Demoralising but I sure as hell want to go back next year. It's a fantastic circuit.

Dave McD

After rectifying a problem which showed itself in the untimed Thursday test session I was reasonably satisfied when I qualified 14th out of 65 on Friday.

By time of rolling start Very Heavy rain. 5 good laps then lost it on a left hander. Just snapped round on me and went backwards into tyre wall at a point where only approx. 8 ft wide grass verge at edge of track, then wacked drivers side against tyre wall.

Race over.

Demoralising but I sure as hell want to go back next year. It's a fantastic circuit.

Dave McD

Edited by alan57

Race over.

Dave McD

Sorry to hear that Dave - out with the big hammer and some spanners - or more than that?

so you should be .

Have not made contact as i thought you may need time without talking about it. Heard through the grapevine and saw photos.

Roy

I have now in my ears this commentator Murray Walker with his penetrating high pitched voice and how he would comment your incident: