voltage stabilizer

So do you have continuity from battery positive to the green wires when the ignition is on? If not is there continuity to the switch? If you have continuity to the switch then the switch is suspect.

Edited by peejay4A

Hello Nige

Agree with Pete that black wires with ring connectors on are the panel light earths and connect under knurled nuts on brackets holding gauges to back of instrument panel. These are nothing to do with operation of gauge which earths itself via sender (thermal resistance on temp gauge and mechanical variable resistance for fuel gauge.)

Coming back to an earlier post of yours you said you connected green/black wire to I terminal on voltage regulator. The wire from the regulator to the gauges is light green/green on autowire wiring diagram but green/black in TR4A handbook and green/black on my 4A. So I would say your green/black connection to I terminal is correct.

Try by passing all of ignition, fuse box etc by running a wire direct from battery +ve to B terminal of regulator. Earth body of regulator directly to -ve of battery. Run a wire from I terminal of regulator to temp gauge. Connect a car bulb (to give some resistance) between other terminal of gauge and -ve of battery. Needle of gauge should move if regulator is working. If it doesn't then regulator is faulty. If it does work then look at wiring connections.

Keith

Edited by keith1948

Hi Keith / Pete

I spent a bit of time on the tr on saturday afternoon.I decided to look into why the vehicle does

not start by ignition key first.I checked continuity for the red/white wire which leads to the starter

solenoid from ignition switch all ok.Also checked for when the switch was in start position and

that to was ok.I decided to bridge a wire across from the solenoid where the battery cable connects

to and the red and white wire terminal.Nothing happened which must confirm i have brought yet

another faulty starter solenoid GRRRRRRRR

Nige

The metal body of the solenoid would normally make contact with the body where it is bolted on.

It's possible that paint may be blocking this connection.

Bob.

Hi keith

Well the ignition switch was just a case of a bad earth so cleaned up and re fitted solenoid.

The temp gauge i just connected all the black earth wires up as there was one that was

hanging loose still and it worked.ive not checked fuel gauge yet as no fuel in tank.

Nige

• 3 years later...

An  old thread but seems to be the best one to bump for my rather simple query.  I purchased this solid state voltage stabilser for a TR4A and I notice that the Instrument terminal "I" is female spade and the Battery "B" a male spade - is this right, as it looks as the original on the car has male terminals only.

636961030_SolidStatevoltagestabiliser1.JPG.9c4a576a7e045fff9a6b9e7784ed49b1.JPG

Chers,

Alf