Morning Wise Ones!

I am about to replace my speedo cable as the existing one went "twang". When doing so is it easier to start at the gearbox end and route upwards to the speedometer or vice versa?

It doesn't matter too much which end you start, I would check the reason why the cable snapped in the first place, is the speedo head seized? cut the square end off the old inner cable and insert it into the head of the speedo and turn the cable quickly between thumb and fore finger, the needle should move if not the head needs attention. Cheers Bill.

Thanks Bill

It's a Celica 5-speed G/box conversion c.10 years ago (before I had the car). The inner cable has snapped about 2" from the g/box connection. I suspect that it was the angle the cable was routed from the box that caused it to fail (that and the energetic life the car has led!)

I have access to a lift next w/e which should make life easier! :)

I'd probably start at the gearbox end, making sure the drive is well seated, and then do the same at the instrument end. That's worked fine for me several times in the past on my car.

Pay attention to how the cable is clamped, in addition to bent, Ben. I had a problem once when one of the original spring-style frame clips was compressing the replacement cable's housing too much for the inner cable to move smoothly. Couldn't tell from the outside, where all looked fine. I ended up replacing that clip with an insulated "P"-clamp.