HiTorque starter motor Hmm no thanks.

Hi Bob,

Hadn't realised it was the whole starter you were speaking of. No, I have one that works fine except that new bushes seem to have gone extinct. Thanks anyway.

Cheers,

JEFF

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Jeff,

which part you talking about - I can't see it on the Moss parts pic.  Metalastic bush

Also, have you complained to Moss about the quality issue?

Roger

As Bob has pointed out it's item 57.

I don't recall raising it with Moss at the time - I think I was so p.....d off about it I took the view it was fairly typical of the poor quality of many of their parts. The last time I complained to them I did it personally when I was in their London shop. It was regarding a ball joint for the top vertical link of the front suspension on my TR4. The taper pin was too wide (12mm) to the extent the pin wouldn't seat fully in the link and stood proud.

They swore me blind it was standard and was what they supplied to everyone else. This was despite me having the original pin (from the TR4 I've owned for 48years). At that point I stopped complaining to Moss - I just shop elsewhere whenever I can.

Cheers,

JEFF

We were one of the first into the market with these starters.

In those days there were no aftermarket repro starters to convert so we bought in all the used motors from far, and wide. We disassembled them, and sent the front cases into our machine shop to be turned down to accept our own adapter plates. The rest of the motor was reconditioned to a high standard by a local company, and then reassembled with those machined front plates, and adapters.

We did thousands of them, but eventually the used core dried up, and the only alternative were the new crop of repro stuff coming in from abroad. It would have actually worked out cheaper for us to build them with these. I think I worked out at the time that cost price per unit would be about  £31 all in with repro starter, machining, and adapter plate.

However! We bought in several different brand repro units, and gave them to our re-conditioner to strip, and evaluate.  He only rated one of them, but only after swapping several parts for better quality OE equivalents. The cost of that, and his labour pushed the price up again, and he wasn't happy to warranty them.

After that we walked away, and haven't done any since. 

7 minutes ago, multipletriumphsinner said:

We were one of the first into the market with these starters.

In those days there were no aftermarket repro starters to convert so we bought in all the used motors from far, and wide. We disassembled them, and sent the front cases into our machine shop to be turned down to accept our own adapter plates. The rest of the motor was reconditioned to a high standard by a local company, and then reassembled with those machined front plates, and adapters.

We did thousands of them, but eventually the used core dried up, and the only alternative were the new crop of repro stuff coming in from abroad. It would have actually worked out cheaper for us to build them with these. I think I worked out at the time that cost price per unit would be about  £31 all in with repro starter, machining, and adapter plate.

However! We bought in several different brand repro units, and gave them to our re-conditioner to strip, and evaluate.  He only rated one of them, but only after swapping several parts for better quality OE equivalents. The cost of that, and his labour pushed the price up again, and he wasn't happy to warranty them.

After that we walked away, and haven't done any since. 

Which is where we came in, see the pictures in my opening post that started this whole topic.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Please wait while image is uploading...
I wanted to show my transmission cover hole that I cut to get to the stud on my new LMS006, WOSP, high torque starter.

I can not possibly be more pleased. I needed the quick revolutions to start my old engine.  My TR3A feels like a kid again.

(on edit, I can't get pic to load. I will read the forum rules and get back here later.)

Edited by Opie
picture won't load.....
On 3/3/2022 at 7:30 PM, Hamish said:

I have the power lite version I found it easier to turn the ring so the stud is at the bottom and fit a bolt to the top. 

I then place a spanner on the top bolt so it jams and just do up the nut. 
the stud nut is reachable from below 

Hi,

because of my MX5 gearbox I have to use a Wosp starter, the original TR4A starter is too long on the gearbox side.

Si I did the same like Hamish and use bolts glued in the adapter plate and nuts from the engine side.

Now I know I have to look for the position of drain hole…

Thanks to „M“, Stuart and James for that info

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
On 3/10/2022 at 10:13 AM, multipletriumphsinner said:

Yes I had read through the entire topic before posting

Hi, 

Where are you based.? My 3A needs some professional work and I am looking for an experienced mechanic.I see that you have 50 Triumphs or is that a typing mistake.

Please let me know,

Richard & B

On 3/20/2022 at 5:52 PM, Richardtr3a said:

Hi, 

Where are you based.? My 3A needs some professional work and I am looking for an experienced mechanic.I see that you have 50 Triumphs or is that a typing mistake.

Please let me know,

Richard & B

No not a typo, but unfortunately we no longer take on customer cars.