Green indicator light in dash

Hi All

My indicators are working but there is no life from the green indicator in the dash. I can reach back and touch the back of the bulb casing and don't know how to disconnect it so I can check whats wrong. Do i have to pull the whole dash out?

I bet this is an easy fix if you know what you are doing but i am i bit of an amateur and reluctant to force anything.

Thank you guys and I really love all the chat and help on the forum!! Now i need some assistance.

I have a 65 TR4a in white which i have owned for about 6 years. This was rebuilt to a very high standard by the Northern TR centre in 1992 and looks as good now!! Never realised the incredible longevity of these cars!!

cheers Tim

post-13259-0-56333600-1465311344_thumb.jpg

Should be no need to take the dash out. Disconnect the battery first -- there are live wires that are easy to short reaching behind the dash.

If you have a compact digital camera, it can be a big help to troubleshooting. Stick it up under the dash and take some snaps to compare to the wiring diagram. A lot more convenient than contorting to get an eyeball under there, and more permanent than memory.

i-n8Xwc8g-M.jpg

The bulb holders easily and commonly get a bit of corrosion that can open the circuit. A bit of scraping or brushing to bright metal fixes a lot of problems. A continuity check or even visual examination can show if the bulb has burned out.

Excuse the poor photo (the only one I had at hand, and not exactly the part we're talking about ), but you'll see panel illumination bulb holders on the left side of this image. The green indicator light is similar, and it simply slips into the plastic tube.

i-BTfwQ55-X3.jpg

If you have a compact digital camera, it can

Tim

The bulb and its holder just pull out of the back of the indicator casing. You can then change the bulb Just be careful as they can become brittle with age.

Steve

You type quicker than me Don!

Edited by Stevecross

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the Forum.

You do not have to dismantle the dashboard.

The bulb holder will just pull out. It is held in by a small clip on the bulb holder. When you come to replace the bulbholder the spring clip goes inside the back of the green plastic unit.

First remove the bulb and check that it has not blown. There are two wires attached to the bulb holder, a light green with a purple trace and a black wire. The LG/P wire goes directly to the flasher relay ( terminal P) and the B goes to earth. The flasher relay is located at the top front of the passenger footwell. If your car still has the original arrangement for the flasher relay it plugs into a circular holder.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Hi Tim,

when you have removed the bulb holder form the green plastic have a feel around the plastic - there is a small cut out section that accepts

a part of the bulb holder.

It should be aligned fully otherwise the holder may fall out.

Roger

Tim, +1 for Don's advice, disconnect battery before you start, it is very easy to short something out inadvertently while fiddling with the spaghetti behind the dash! To access the indicator warning lamp it is really not necessary to contort yourself and work from the floor of the car. You can do this in comfort from the drivers seat, If you remove the tachometer you can easily access the warning lamp to check it out. Carefully feel behind the dash and unscrew the tachometer cable from the rear of the instrument. If you feel around you will find two knurled thumb nuts at top right and bottom left of the tacho, undo these and remove with the clamps that retain the instrument. Note that one thumb screw will be retaining an earth connection for the instrument. Gently unclip the tacho illumination bulb holder from the top rear of the instrument and lastly gently push the tacho forward from behind and remove from the dash.

Replacement is simply a reversal of the above, don't forget the earth connection under one of the retaining thumb nuts. I assume you have your FREE copy of the latest excellent Moss catalogue for our car, you will find the illustration on page 100 helpful.

Tim

I've just seen Pete's post. If your speedo is adjacent to the indicator warning lamp then one or other is in the wrong place! On RHD cars the tacho and indicator warning lights should be on the RIGHT. On LHD cars they are on the LEFT. Just have a look at the illustration on page 4 of your owners handbook.

Tim

Agreed Pete, but it is slightly easier to access the indicator warning lamp from the adjacent instrument aperture and if you remove the speedo there is the additional main beam warning lamp bulb to remove. BTW are you going to the Luton Festival this Sunday? I will have my car there this time.

Tim