Morning, I have been looking for a TR4a for the past few months and have just seen a lovely 1967 TR4A in Royal Blue at a garage in Mortlake. the car is an older restoration, but looks like a good honest car with full history. my only concern is it has a J type overdrive with the switch on the gearstick, can anyone tell me if this will affect the value of the car going forward?

Many thanks

Philip

Do you consider the car to be fairly priced and are you ok buying a car with a non original o/d set up. If the answer to both is yes, then does it matter? If / when you sell you'll just need to find a like minded buyer, presumably if you are ok with it then others will be as well.

Phillip

I think Stuarts point is fair

is the car concourse condition (I expect not given your comments re older restoration)?

do you want a concourse car?

or a reliable driver?

If you answered no, no & yes then I expect the non standard overdrive will be perfectly acceptable

(I need to fess up - I am just about to fit a J type to my 65 TR4 - but it is far from original)

good luck with whichever car you buy

Graze

In an, all things else being equal world,

then an A type O/D 4A would I would guess be worth say £500 more than the exact same car fitted with a J type, perhaps more,

But we do not live in such a world, and you are not looking at two cars so equipped.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car over and above the same car without O/D,

similarly the Switch on the gearlever is if anything at least as good as original.

The J type unit be will be stronger, newer and perhaps less likely to leak?????

One consideration, would be is this a saloon gearbox that has been fitted? that is not a problem at all, ratios etc are the same, but check if the J type unit is the same saloon v late TR- it is't with the A type, and I do not know if the same applies to the J.

Other than that, and if the car meets you criteria,- well you only live once!

John.

Hello Phillip whilst up on the ramp have a look at the rear gearbox mount theres a nice conversion bracket available to fit the J type into a A type chassis but theres alot been cobbled up last week i pulled the very same box from a car that had dexion shelf brackets and jubilee clips trying to hold it in place also ask if speedo read correct ? Ta Martin.

Hi Philip,

Just done the exactly the same conversion on my 4A. O/D was for a saloon. Change of speedo gear and upped the pressure to TR spec. No o/d on 2nd but I don't miss that. Switch on gearstick I much prefer. The J type works very well on a 4A.

Alan.

Hey Ho Philip,

sounds like you didn't let your heart rule your head - well done, there will be one out there for you.

Why not seek out your local group and 'Pick their Brains' They will often know of cars for sale, and also sometimes what not to go near.

John