I have tried to start my TR6 after 18 months in storage. Following a process of elimination I have settled on the metering unit as the culprit? Fuel reaches the m. unit from the tank and the engine runs for a few seconds with 'Easy Start' sprayed into the air intake. I have also added fresh petrol so as to dilute the 'old' fuel. The metering unit was fitted new about 2 years ago and was running fine at that time. Any advise anyone can give as to how to tackle the m. unit assuming that is the problem would be greatly appreciated. David.

David, If none of the injectors are spraying then the shuttle may have seized. In that case the engine would not fire at all without the easystart.

If it is trying to fire on some cylinders then it may be that the injectors need purging. Stick each one in a jar and turn the engine over. Flick or tap injectors that do not spray.

Have a fire extinguisher to hand and do not spray near the disy or plugs as a stray spark will....,...obviously.

I assume you can hear the fuel pump is normal.

Peter

Hello David,

Assuming that fuel isn't getting beyond the MU then the problem may be with the plastic drive gear that comes off of the distributor. I had a similar experience with a broken drive gear which was caused due to the shuttle in the MU being partially seized. I opted to have the MU rebuilt with a new shuttle which fortunately solved the problem. I had the work done by Malcolm at Prestige Injection Services and was very happy with the quality of his work and service. No association with Prestige but thought I would pass on the positive experience. The usual pointers apply when bleeding the system should you end up down this route and I believe that subject has been covered previously in some detail on this forum.

If you are getting fuel to the injectors then you may consider looking at the ignition circuit as the problem could be electrical.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Best Regards, Peter

All good advice! And good diagnostics from you with the Kwickstart.

If I may supplement Peter's, and you have the type of injector with a pin out of the tip, pull on that with the fingernails. Pliers are too fierce!

You can disconnect the coil from the battery and do so in more safety as the coil will not be firing. Do this with the engine turning over, fuel will be pumped and metered towards the injectors if the M/u is working, and a blockage in the injectors can be cleared.

John

Many thanks to both Peters and John for their responses. I have eliminated the injectors so am back to the metering unit. The fuel pump is working fine. I mentioned John's wise suggestions of safety to my wife and she said surely all I had to do was increase my life insurance................However pressing on with the M/U I have found a diagram of it but any suggestions as to how I reach the shuttle. I assume cleaning it with brake/carb cleaner would then do the trick and reassembly. Failing this I will opt for a rebuilt one as Peter suggested. As mine is fairly new anyway trying to free the shuttle seems like a good bet initially.

Any further help would again be much appreciated and thanks again for your help. My wife did in fact help me check the injectors! David.