Electronic Fuel Injection

I've heard that the EFI from a 5 series BMW is virtually the same as those being supplied today for the TR6.

Does anyone have details on what it would take to fit it and get it working, assuming I heard correctly.

There is a large number of these BMW's being taken to the crushers these days.

Barry, what you say is, I believe true.

When I bought my TR6 at TRGB in April 2003, the boss Gary had a white TR5, which had just been restored to his specifications and when he showed it to me I am certain the the injection system was BMW.  A simple phone call to Gary on 08707-572441 will answer your question, I'm sure.

I do not know about BMW EFI installation to TR6 but I am starting my own EFI project. This winter I will install a fully programmable EFI and direct ingnition system to my TR6PI. I use HESTEC controller (see HESTEC homepage). I am using BOSCH injectors from BMW and one large trottlebody also from BMW. I will report my installation in detail on my webpage. Keep you eyes open.

Martti  :blues:

Guest harry dent

Hi Dave and all,

Spoke to Gary TRGB and his set up is the Webcon EFI not BMW and fitted to Webber inlet manifolds.He has tried the original injector manifolds bored out to accept the Bosch injectors and found a huge flat spot.His research has found that the injectors need to be further away from the head ports to atomise the fuel properly.He is still researching.

I know there is kits made for the purpose but they are hughley expensive.It can not be rocket science to produce something less expensive.Everything is EFI now.

Regards Harry.

Guest harry dent

Do not discount it Dave.Chris Connely of Mass Engineering is doing work on this using original PI manifolds.I am sure we can pool our knowledge and get something sorted between us all that will work.

Harry.

Check out:-  http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

I have had one of these fitted to my TR6 and a mate has one fitted to his TR4.

My car uses the original manifolds bored out to accept Bosch injectors with a vauxhall (carlton) throttle body and a Lambda sensor fitted in the downpipe. The car returns over 35mpg on a run with no detrimental effect on performance.

Graham.

Hi Harry, Will try again, don't know what happened to the posting.................The Megasquirt cost approx. £150 plus labour to build it up, I'm not electronically minded so had a mate do it. The manifolds I machined out myself but it only took a couple of hours, so that shouildn't cost much at a machine shop. The throttle body,injectors and idle sensor came from a Vauxhall Carlton from the scrapyard for £50. The system that I put on two years ago was purely from the Carlton , but that gave problems on tickover so a change to Megasquirt was decided on to improve matters, (the mate who buit up the megasquirt E C U had already fitted one in his Dax Cobra, so we knew it would work). I will post some photos when I get home this weekend.

Graham

I think we should not compare BMW injection with EFI system RTR sells. These are two complete different systems. The Lumenition and Webcon Alpha are designed for competition cars and allow a vaste amount of settings. I doubt that anyone will be able to lay an hand on the BMW software to calibrate and map the ECU. This is one of the best kept company secrets. As far as I know it is not anough to drill out the Lucas throttle bodies to fit electronic injectors. EFI injectors work in a different way. While the Lucas injectors work once per cycle, the EFI injectors open and close a few hundred times per second. The percentage of time the injectors are open has to be in accordance with the engine requirements, this means big engines big injectors, so not every injector is suitable for a TR6 engine, that's why the different injector colours.

There are by the way several systems available in Germany based on Bosch EFI working with a single throttle body.

For those interested here is the RTR Lumenition EFI on a TR6

Jean