Piranha Newtronics Electronic ignition, Anyone still got one?

Anyone still got one of the old Piranha units fitted and could check something for me.

Just be sorting an under power missfire on a TR8 which turned out to be down to both a **** new Distributor Cap and **** rotor arm. But anyway in looking for causes I noticed that the Piranha rotor in the distributor seems to have about 5-10deg float on its locating collar. Having never played with a Piranha unit before I don't know if this is normal or not, and a trawl of the web hasn't revealed an answer.

Whilst I'm fairly certain that this unit is a decade old from being fitted, I'm fairly certain that it hasn't done more that a couple of thusand miles so I don't think I'm looking at wear slop.

If anyone has one fitted to a distributor any chance you could pop a distributor cap and check? the play I'm talking about is in the actual rotor, which from what I can see is sat on a collar that slips over the distributor shaft, the play I can see is between the rotor and the collar, not the collar to the shaft or in the shaft itself.

Alan

I can't look this evening, but my recollection is that the collar and rotor form a single unit.

Perhaps your rotor has broken away from the collar, possibly because it became obstructed in some way?

Clearly, if the rotor is floating, timing will be all over the place!

I might not be able to have a look until Wednesday, so could be worth having a word with Martin Jay (Distributor Doctor).

Ian Cornish

I've just been out to have a look at the Newtronic trigger on my TR6.

As Ian recalls, the rotor and collar are a single plastic part, with the collar moulded to fit over the existing distributor cam. Sounds likely the rotor/collar assembly may be breaking up.

Just a thought - the play that you see couldn't simply be the auto-advance mechanism allowing the distributor cam to rotate a few degrees against the centrifugal advance springs??

Nigel

Nigel thanks for looking,

I think this must be an earlier model as it is a metal disk with slots in, on a metal collar. The play I can see/feel is between the rotor and the collar and not in the collar or shaft. It actually feels solidly located either side of that 5-10 deg slop, so its either correct or it is a symptom of something going wrong. At the moment the timing is spot on and not fluctuating but I was just worried that it might be something that could fail at some point.

Alan

2 options,

1 coat collar wid quick dry epoxy, Oil,t shaft, fit collar, when set, pull off

nice an tight fit noo.

2, wrapp some mask,n tape roond shaft, and fit collar.

NOTE, check yer timings on 1-6 2-5 3-4

as ive had a few of thee,s older types on diff cars, and the timings can vary between cyls

some times upto 4 degs.

can be set right by filing,orr filling the slots, this alters the light beam, so alters the timing

M

Hi M

Thanks for input, doesn't seem to be collar to shaft but slotted disk to collar that has the bit of play, I'm fairly certain that as soon as it's rotating the slop it taken up and it then stays consistant as the timing is just about spot on, my worry was that it was a symptom of it slipping further (probably at the wrong time/place) and thus then the timing going out.

Thinking about it, I'm going to pull it and check it over, maybe leave it until after Chris has done Abingdon in it this weekend in case it falls apart in my hands removing it!

Alan

PS Sideways pre-oiler "Thank You"

Edited by oldtuckunder

2 options,

1 coat collar wid quick dry epoxy, Oil,t shaft, fit collar, when set, pull off

nice an tight fit noo.

2, wrapp some mask,n tape roond shaft, and fit collar.

OK looks like your diagnosis was correct it is the collar to the shaft.

post-12405-0-73863500-1464799131_thumb.jpg

I thought the rotor was attached to the centre collar shown in picture, but it isn't, that is just a washer holding the collar down, yes all the slop is between the collar below and the distributor shaft so its needs attention. As does the fixing of the light sensor! I was applying a vacuum to the distributor with the cap off to see if it was working (and I think not) and could just see the light sensor wobble a bit. Upon close inspection as you can see in the pictures the two nuts holding the sensor down are almost touching the rotor and are loose, its only the rotor above them that has prevented them actually coming right off.

Oh well more to do before Abingdon, and I already had enough to do on my own car.

If it gets through Abingdon I think I'll recomend junking it as spares aren't available anymore.

Alan

Yes, thats an early version, the info I gev above worked on the Capri 3.0LE

butt, never did it on the others.

they were in Blackpool, an changed the name to Newtronics i think.

http://autocar-electrical.co.uk/newtronic-product-guide

I got some stuff a few years ago for a 2nd gen Pirahna,

Stu 88 on CT has one I gave him a few yers ago, but still no fitted it,

wuth a punt to ask.

i thowt they a good one really for their time, as could run a 40thou plug gap nee bothr at all.

something the Lumeniton or the SPK 200 could,nt

Ohh, good to see yer tanks workin ok. mines great for what i want it for

the diaphragm has the advantage of being able to squirt oil oot,

regardless of orientation of tank, Butt,if pressuried, will have lower oil content.

M