Back axle TR3A - advice needed

Pursuing a clunky rattle noise, which is only noticeable as you float between power on and power off, I have removed and examined the propshaft. The U/J's seem ok and the sliding spline seems good. But I can turn the drive into the diff by,say, 10 degrees before the road wheel turns. On a P1800E Volvo that I have the play is minimal, say 1-2 degrees.

Can anyone tell me what to expect on the TR? Before I get into taking off and replacing the back axle.

Thanks .

There is no end float on the flange protruding from the diff case. When you turn the flange by hand you can feel an initial quite small amount of play and then a separate larger amount before all the slack is taken up. the first bit might be the spline on the flange but the second larger bit must be inside the diff. It feels the same whether you stope one wheel from turning or allow both to turn.

Is this ok, or even if not ideal is it quite common in old cars ?

The pinion bearing should have a preload of 15 - 18 in.lbs after lightning the pinion nut to a torque of 85 - 100 lbs.ft. which is very tight and the preload means it needs a fair amount of pressure to get it to start turning. If it is easy to turn it could mean its a bit sloppy inside and could need new bearings.

Graham