From idle speed to conking out

Whenever I stop at lights etc, the car Idles @800rpm and then the idle speed drops before my eyes to zero.

I now have to keep my foot on the accelerator pedal to keep the car at 800rm.

Apart from thus problem , the car is running fine.

Pointers please

Can you compensate for it by increasing the idle speed using the throttle stops? If it's stable after that then as Jerry says, examine the linkage for a clean return. If not that then run through the usual SU diagnostics, jet centring, float level etc.

Edited by peejay4A

Have you tried lubricating the linkages and re-setting the throttle stop?

Jerry

Can you compensate for it by increasing the idle speed using the throttle stops? If it's stable after that then as Jerry says, examine the linkage for a clean return. If not that then run through the usual SU diagnostics, jet centring, float level etc.

I've checked every pipe, cables.....you name it !

When I had a look at the accelerator cable at carb end,the bottom nut.....was missing .

Found it at the bottom if the cable. So the accelerator cable had loosened itself.

Nut put back in, cable adjusted , tightened up and idle speed now back to 800rpm.

Thanks guys.

Steve