Hello All,

Started my front suspension overhaul today. After removing the hubs & discs I noticed that the hubs originally had 5 studs, four of which have then been cut flush, the stud heads welded in place then the hub drilled in 3 equispaced locations to accommodate four studs.

What may these hubs have originally been intended for, any ideas?

Regards,

Richard.

I think I would have been tempted to leave them as five stud and convert the rears to match.

What other differences are evident? I guess that there must be an advantage in terms of stub axle and bearing size.

I have a spare set of used original hubs and disks lurking in the garage somewhere if you'd like them Richard.

Steve

Hi Andrew,

Not being a TR expert I'm unsure of any other differences.

I did however find another bodgit. One of the fasteners holding the calliper mount, vertical link & tie rod lever all together ( item #28 here http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID600125 ) was in fact a brass stud that sheared as soon as I breathed upon it.

Hi Andrew,

Not being a TR expert I'm unsure of any other differences.

I did however find another bodgit. One of the fasteners holding the calliper mount, vertical link & tie rod lever all together ( item #28 here http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID600125 ) was in fact a brass stud that sheared as soon as I breathed upon it.

Hmm I think I would be going right through all of that car with a fine tooth comb if that is the sort of bodges you are coming across!

Stuart.

Hmm I think I would be going right through all of that car with a fine tooth comb if that is the sort of bodges you are coming across!

Stuart.

It's the last sizeable job on the car, everything I've done so far has been upgraded, reconditioned or renewed.

It's the last sizeable job on the car, everything I've done so far has been upgraded, reconditioned or renewed.

Best finish the job with nice updated stub axles, bearings and hubs then Richard!

Steve

My thoughts exactly Steve!

Pics below of one of the offending pair. Crude with a grinder too by the look of it :wacko: !

If that car came back from the States I suspect thats a Ford hub as I have heard of them being used instead.

Stuart.

Stuart.

Ask Darryl he will tell you fact from fiction :P