Dash Top Pad

I'm trying to replace the top facia pad on 1973 TR6. I've got the wooden dash loose following instructions from the workshop manual. But the top pad is proving very hard. The instructions in the manual don't fully cover it and searching on line brings other instructions but again its still fixed solid. I've found five bolts not mentioned anywhere else. along the front edge but still don't budge, is there likely to be any more fixings holding this down. My replacement one doesn't have any fixing on it.

Ideas gratefully received.

Feb 73 CR 410 O

Thanks

Barry

Hi Bazza,

I think it's easy enough, obviously a two man/woman job to lift it free of the car.

There are three bolts along the top of the dash that you'll see easily and two posts reaching down each inner wing that all need released, then the entire frame should be free.

Someone will be along with a more thorough explanation I'm sure.

Richard.

I think it depends if it's been out before. When I stripped my car down, it was a pig to get the frame off. And that was with the screen out (I mean shattered!). The mounts seemed to be seized in the tubes which are on each side of the inner body.

With the screen in, I suggest you should have two people to lift the frame off.

Let's hope you're luckier than I was.

Cheers

Paul

As mentioned above the frame has two mounting pins that go through the scuttle and into tubes that you can see from under the dashboard at either end. The pins are threaded at the end and after dropping through the tubes they are secured using a washer and nut. Over time the pins get bonded to the tube with rust and they can be a pig to release.

You can try backing off the nuts and giving the nut a tap with a mallet to see if it moves and if not get some PB blaster or similar in there to loosen things up.

I recall the pad goes in before the metal dash but you can cheat and cut slots where the holes are in the flange on the pad and slide it in.

Stan

If I remember correctly, the mounting brackets for the frame need to be slackened off ( maybe only one bolt in each) as they actually clamp the pins.

Hi Barry,

I had the same problem when wanting to replace my dash top pad, that come what may I couldn't get the windscreen frame out of the two side brackets as the pins were seized solid in the tube brackets. But I did find that by slackening off the 3 bolts to each side bracket the windscreen frame was now now loose enough to lift slightly, sufficient to pull out the old dash top and slide the new under. Re-clamped the windscreen frame and bolted down the 3 windscreen clamps and job was all good.

Greg