Hi Jon,

there are a number of companies that do a form of stripping

SPL - http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/

Enviro-strip - http://www.envirostripukltd.com/abou

use a cocktail of acids / heat and blasting that get deep into seams and removes everything.

Or you could just get it grit blasted -this will get into seams

There are more all over the country.

Roger

Acid dipping seems to have one disadvantage on spotwelds. Its rater difficult to get the acid fully out of the seems. So if you go for it don't have it done the cheap way.

The person who resprayed my TR6 did grind off a small part of the overlap on the spotwelds and applied a continious seem weld.

This prevents any water or damp penetrating the seems.

After almost 20 years it still looks as new.. :)

Grit blasting is not for me. i lost a TR2 to this process. May be ok on panel edges but never on the flat surfaces .

ROY

Hi Jean,

as you say the acid can get into the seam.

This is not a problem if the acid is removed and is a positive advantage as it will attack any thin layer of rust.

Serious rust will have broken through and again is not a problem.

Either heat on the seam to boil off the acid or a long long airing is required.

The acid isn't a problem on the metal but if it leaks out it can damage new paint.

Roger

I resisted acid stripping on a Mini recently as I had seen first hand what it did to a Capri that had been stripped with this process. Some of the chemical agent remained in box sections and rotted through a rear chassis leg. I went for dry shot blasting and pleased with results. The company are well aware of overheating panels and warpage on large areas and tend to run in short blasts with fine media at around 14psi.

Besides that, if I'd have had my 4a dipped 20 odd years ago, it was so rotten I would have got nothing back.

Regards

Kevin