Pre filter choice

Hi All.

Does anyone use the large bowl type pre filter with a Bosch pump ? Rather than the small glass tube type.

My filter appears to cavitat and creat air.

Cheers Mark.

The Bullitt filter works well - has a coarse metal mesh filter option which is fine as a pre filter - large bore pipework and negligible effect on flow.

I note that some of the kits now supply this option. There is a disposable paper mesh option but that's not required if you use the post pump high pressure filter.

(The same supplier used to advocate enlarging the tank outlet whilst supplying the glass filter which had a far smaller bore than the tank outlet!)

Hi Mark!

Bosch Pump 0-580-254-952 Info from 1993, as per Bosch.

Fuel free flow rate that is required from tank to pump 2.6 Litres/Minute minimum! or up to 5 l/m. On a 1/2 tank of fuel with no pipework fitted you will get about 2.5 l/m!, in free flow! Bore size of pipework to be 10 to 12mm.

I will let you draw your own conclusions from this info.

Bruce

Edited by astontr6

Had a run down to Poole last night more issues with cavitation.

Any ideas appears worst after been stuck in tragic and ticking over for a while

Mark.

Thanks for the reply, I'm guessing this would be a canister type ?

Something like this ?

Cheers Markattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Marki

Please, don't use the Delhi one, it's contamination removal capability is terrible.

I spent 30 years in the filter business and solved many, many problems by removing the standard fit filter in the fuel system and fitting a Racer replacement.

Not only does the Racer unit remove the particulates, it will remove 96% of the free water contained within the fuel

You can get the filter from ASAP Supplies in Beccles and, before anyone asks, I have absolutely no connection with ASAP Supplies or Racor.

I have fitted Racer filters to 4 of my own boats (petrol and diesel) and the boats of 6 of my friends.

The difference is, they work properly and do what they are meant to do.

When you say put the PRV into the filter would this be before it goes back into the tank.

Hi WJGCO

Could this filter remove the ' air ' in the fuel ?

Cheers Mark

Marki

No, not air

It utilises a patented aquaphobic media; 'Aquabloc'

It is extremely efficient at removing solids and water.

I bought a narrowboat that had suffered with diesel bug, which is a direct product of heat, water and oxygen.

Remove any one and you cure the problem

I fitted a Racor filter and the problem went away

The fuel system on my '6' is working well, but, when I make a change/upgrade, a Racor filter will be fitted.

When you say put the PRV into the filter would this be before it goes back into the tank.

Yes - let the PRV return feed the filter and any overflow return to the normal point in the tank - helps keep the pump supplied properly.

Yes - let the PRV return feed the filter and any overflow return to the normal point in the tank - helps keep the pump supplied properly.

Marki

If you decide to use a Racor filter, talk to ASAP, there are different heads available, some of which offer up to 7 ports. Useful when running multiple flow lines