My 6 overheated a couple of times in traffic last summer and so I am considering fitting an electric fan. I can find two kits available on the internet a Kenlow and a Revotec. Any advice on which is better and how easy/difficult each is to fit would be most welcomed.

Cheers.

Hi,

welcome to the forum - have you a name.

All of the kits work - some better than others, some a bit complicated.

But you don;t need a kit. Go to the scrap yard and get a fan and cobble together

I have a Pabst fan from Revington and was attached to the Rad core with plastic ties. These do work very well and do no damage.

I have since welded brackets to the rad frame and attached the fan in a more structural.

The thermostat can be fitted into the top hose or better still a dedicated down pipe

Fit an over-ride switch

Use a relay to supply power tot he fan and have the fan power line fused (20amps)

Get the biggest fan that will fit the core.

Roger

" These do work very well and do no damage. "

You may very well think so . . . . . until such time as something comes a tad loose, or starts to vibrate, and then the radiator springs a leak and dumps all the coolant.

There's always a better way than mounting through the core . . . .

Cheers

Alec

This is a 16" Spal, and appears to be about the largest size that will fit well. I'm in the US--don't know if Spal is available where you are.

Mind the thickness (front to back) limit. You only have around three inches to work with.

Ed

IMG_0849a.JPG

UK's Pacet makes great fans as well http://www.pacet.co.uk Pacet produces 'pushing' and 'pulling' fans. Make sure you get the right one. Or, if it's a more generic fan that you buy, make sure it's turning into the right direction... Some have a switch (at least, that's what've heard - but haven't seen one!) others need to be wired the right way to do the pushing/pulling job properly.

Mine is a slim line fan form Pacet that fits between the rad and the engine. The suggestion of making a bracket is a good one, for the reason mentioned by Alec.

Menno

On the one hand 'it's a fan they all work'

However :

Do fit a relay as the standard TR wiring, especially the ignition, is not up to the added load.

Consider whether you want the fan to run after you switch off the engine, and arrange relay feed accordingly

Consider where the thermostat is located, I think the lower hose is the best location

Steve

Have the fan with a viscous coupling from engine side

post-13092-0-81984300-1464073981_thumb.jpg

and two very small fans in the top area in the front. They are

started by Megasquirt and have a small hysteresis of only 1.5 degrees.

Also they are switched off under 700 rpm. So they give a short shot

when required and are quiet most of the time.

Has the advantage that the engine fan does not rob power

and the small fans in front are not in the airstream.

Additionally the engine compartment is proper vented in

traffic jam and does not get that hot when stopping.

The V8 required larger improvement:

He got a thicker core, a bigger fan from Ford Transit inside

and two big fans in front from Kenlowe which draw 25 Amps each.

Mille Miglia/Italy requires bulletproof cooling because there is a

unhealthy mix of steep hills and traffic jams.

Edited by TriumphV8

Hi Alec,

you're probably right. Mine only lasted 15 years with no issue until I had to remove it for another reason. :)

There is nothing wrong with the plastic ties if they are fitted correctly and with all the little spongy things etc.

Menno has jolted my memory it is a Pacet fan that I have - very good.

Roger

My experiences with the Revotec switches are that they are unreliable (and I am not alone in that). Can't comment on the fans themselves

My thermoswitch has been fine.

My 6 overheated a couple of times in traffic last summer and so I am considering fitting an electric fan. I can find two kits available on the internet a Kenlow and a Revotec. Any advice on which is better and how easy/difficult each is to fit would be most welcomed.

Cheers.

If we assume that your 6 has an engine driven fan, to be overheating you have some other issue that will not be resolved by fitting an electric equivalent. Try flushing out first, then a new radiator, they don't last forever.

Jerry

Why not run a temporary earth to test your theory?

Whoops, posted in the wrong place. How'd that happen?

Edited by peejay4A