When I am driving slowly in an enclosed area such as a country lane next to a fence, I can hear a click as the wheel rotates. If I move at walking pace I can lean out and hear it clearly. The sound is bouncing back from the wall or fence

On the road it is drowned out by wind, exhaust etc. It was noticeable on the showground in Yorkshire at the IWE. So it has been going on for some time. I thought that it must be the wire wheel and I have been waiting for some signs of a loose spoke or collapse of the wheel entirely.

Recently it has been suggested to me that the click can be a front wheel bearing. Surely after a few thousand miles it would have changed into a major failure and collapsed. If it is a bearing it must be causing damage.

Is there a bearing expert available to advise me. I am travelling to CLM 2016 with my son in law and the car absolutely must not let us down.

Please advise if I should go for renewal or hope for the best.

Thanks Richard & H.

Richard: Go round the wire wheel and ping each spoke with a small hammer - you may find that one (or more) is looser, but perhaps not so loose as to be obvious to the eye.

As the wheel rotates on the road, spokes will be subject to compression at the bottom (next to the road) and slightly increased tension at the top. This might just be sufficient to result in a spoke moving and producing a click.

Of course, you could put the spare into that position and see if it makes a difference.

Ian Cornish

Ian's suggestion to change the wheel is a good one - you might even find it is just a stone stuck fast in the tread - and while it is on jack you can push/pull and rotate the wheel to see it it all feels solid.

Hi Richard,

Jack the car and rotate the wheel - have a good listen for any noises.

Check the wheel bearing any slack - hands at 12 & 6-o-clock - there should be just a little

Remove the wheel and inspect the tyre for stones etc and any damage.

Take note of how tight the spinner or nuts are when removing.

Have a look at all the parts of the suspension that may be rubbing.

Check ALL nuts for tightness.

Put the wheel back on the adaptor and rotate the wheel about the spline - there shouldn't be a great deal of free play.

Make sure the spinner is on tight.

Roger

Good suggestions all. FWIW, I've had wheel bearings on other vehicles click for several thousand miles at least, needing replacement but not collapsing or destructing in a major way.

Had this a long time ago.....it was the nuts that secure the splined hub to the flange. Listened to it for a while then the wheel fell off complete with the hub and spinner.

+1 For brake pads - my calipers are the same as TR3A ones and I used to have a tick from the left front which went away with the slightest pressure on the brake pedal.

It wasn't until I changed the discs (for other reasons) that it went away.

I had a click once from the front wheel which was very confusing. It only sounded when I went round corners. It turned out to be the rigid brake pipe link on the caliper being too long and touching on the inner part of the wheel when the wheel was deflected when cornering. I just pressed the pipe out of the way and all was well.

Keith

At the risk of being flippant about a serious subject, I'm not sure I would hear a slight click from the front wheel of my TR3a. There is so much general racket, particularly with the hood down, it seems like the wheel would have to fall off for me to hear it.

Rgds Ian

Nice one Ian!

S

Thanks for the help. I have tried the spoke check, the stone in the tread, the brake pipe,but not yet the spline nuts. But it has been there for at least three years. i am still worried about the front bearing and have bought a kit from Moss which i will keep in the boot. I carry a number of spares and once you have the new parts the old one never fails. :)

The car went off to the paint shop for a two week holiday and we are now on week 11 and there is no paint on the front panel. It does fit better and the door gaps are good.

How do you get the man to finish the job? In some trades this is called a hospital job which you only return to when there is nothing else in the workshop.

Thanks Richard & H.

Edited by Richardtr3a

I had the same problem with mine - as in being treated as a hospital job - in the end I resorted to dropping in on the shop at random times and phoning in between. The guy got the message eventually. The tricky bit is not upsetting him but just making it clear you would like your car back so that you can use it.

Rgds Ian

Hello Richard

Without being flippant I think you have a bigger problem than a ticking noise (No Paint but I would have to take the wheel bearings out and inspect them)half wat to Classic Le mans is not the best place to replace wheel bearings(In the dark and bound to be raining?)

Roger

Edited by rogerguzzi