I have just (finally) got round to fitting RHD headlights to my TR250 to avoid problems at its forthcoming MOT however they seem very loose behind the chrome rings. The old ones were a snug fit but even with the rings screwed down fully these will rattle around a bit on the road.

A couple of solutions I have thought of:

1. Bend the loops for the indents on the lights out so they sit further out. ( Seems risky as something may break!)

2. Put some packing either in the ring or round the edge of the headlight. I have some aluminium tape which would do without creating a fire hazard!

Any other suggestions very welcome ????

Hi Alan,

I had the same problem with some aftermarket halogen headlights - it seems they are thinner where the lens is joined to the rear section and so are not clamped securely by the original retaining ring. I found by chance that a shallower retaining ring was available for Minis in stainless. Not sure if available from TR suppliers, but I found at MiniSpares.

Ian

This is a problem with a lot of new lenses not being made to the old sealed beam dimensions.

Buy a length of nitrile rubber o ring cord of a suitable diameter + a small tube of adhesive and make up an o ring to fit inside the retainer.

Steve

Thanks for those two suggestions. Both very neat.

I will try the o ring as that is cheapest, although may have to do an interim bodge as my MOT is tomorrow. I presume the rubber will stand any heat from the light as the bulb holder is similarly encased. Not that they will probably get much use anyway as daylight hours in these parts are pretty extensive during the summer!

There were two different depths of headlamp retaining ring. (the one attached with 3 small PK screws)

The deeper version was used on the 3 adjuster type headlamp bucket and the shallower on the 2 adjuster type.

Look at this pic - is this the headlamp bucket arrangement you have, with 2 adjusters for beam alignment?

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/electrical-system/lighting/headlamps-driving-lamps.html

Peter W

PS A small pellet of silicone sealer in three position on the headlamp edge where the rim needs to touch would take up the slack just like the o ring method.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Al

Heat is not a problem re the o ring method.

Have 2 cars running that method for 3 years now.

Steve