Speedo & Rev Counter Cables

Hello

So on the way back from a long trip today the rev counter on my TR4 starts to go nuts (but not the revs...) and some years ago I had the same issue on my TR3. Cause that time was a faulty cable and I was told that the new cables are poor quality compared to the originals. Given that my rev counter cable is not that old, does anyone know of a supplier that supplies good quality cables that are known to work? Only want to do this replacement once...

Thanks

Myles

Ive failed to source what I consider to be a good quality speedo cable too. In fact I find it difficult to source good quality standard parts in general. Modified parts are generally very well engineered and manufactured. I suspect that standard parts tend to be more price driven.

The original cable is a Smiths item - DF1104/00 design. You will need to check and work out the length - 54" jumps to mind for a TR2/3/4/4A Tacho.

Get the routing right too. The sidescreen cars have a heater in the way. More modern cars have other things I guess to impede the easy route.

Try

http://vintagebritishcables.com/

or

http://www.speedycables.com/specify_speedo_cable_form.html

Peter W

Hi Andrew,

the problem with some parts as you say is probably price driven.

The suppliers do not want to supply parts that are not fit for purpose but sometiimes that appears to be the case.

Fret not the TRR have the Parts Quality Initiative PQI. If you have any problems then send them through. You do need to supply some data.

Roger

My rev counter used to swing violently after the refurb. Mucking around with the path to the firewall I was able to find a position where the wobble disappeared.

Still OK, but maybe I'll need a new cable at some stage. Seemed to prefer long sweeping curves to sharp bends.

Edited by littlejim