Tr5 forsale on ebay

By a 'professional'??? £25-£30k ish.......

I suppose those with the ability to finish it themselves could shave, what, £10-£15k off the professional cost? But, even doing it that way, it puts the car at the high end of the going rate.

I guess it all comes down to what you want. A fellow 5 owner that I know bought his at almost exactly the same time as I got mine, but he paid around £10k less than I did. What he got was an ostensibly solid car, and on the whole it was pretty good, but he still ended up paying around £10-£12k to get it right, and it has taken getting on for 18 months before he has really been able to start to enjoy the car. He has the skills to do some of the work himself, whereas I knew I was lacking in that department, which is why I went for the finished article.

Darren

IMO this is way overpriced.

Perhaps I am out of touch but doesn't £40k buy a properly restored matching nos UK car when finished? so a £10k upside when finished less parts/work,

Any part completed project just needing and easy finish never is .

If this is 80% reassembled and ready to finish I would question the quality of the work already done if the vendor is happy with the awful paint job to the bonnet and engine bay. I assume he is as the engine bay has been fitted up. I've seen less orange peel in a marmalade factory. No professional or a decent home restorer would start re assembly with a paint job like that. What is being covered up (the floor pans seem to be covered with spray schutz)

£18k would be more realistic

Steve

Hi all,

I contend its current value is not the difference between the value done and the cost to get it there.

The trials and tribulations suffered to steward such a project to completion cannot be worth zero, despite our wishing it so all too frequently.

Cheers,

Tom

Not a bad looking project, if someone really wants a TR5 and has got some knowhow and some balls,i think it would be be a goer.I do understand the trials and tribulations Tom, but as they say on the rugby pitch "no pain ,no gain " !..Yes a bit expensive in its present state.

Good luck to someone,

Conrad.

"....I went for the finished article."

Noooooo Darren, never say that, you just released the 'curse' that was laying dormant in every nook and cranny!????

"....I went for the finished article."

Noooooo Darren, never say that, you just released the 'curse' that was laying dormant in every nook and cranny!

Yes, you are right, it's a risky statement . . . tempting fate :o:D

Still, on the plus side for you Austin, at least you can now say you finished yours your self. There's a lot of merit in that.

Stuart

You no see the door to rear wing curve first pic ?

Soon sort that out ;) No good looking at pictures anyway, MK1 eyeball for that one or dont bother.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

Simply due to its rarity, does the TR5 justify its soaring cost on the merit of that alone?

As we know it was really a TR4a cobbled together as a 'test bed' for the forthcoming TR6 so never really offered anything unique in its own right once the TR6 came along.

So my question is does a really well sorted TR6 offer a better ride, more comfort and updated equipment, and therefore value for money over the TR5?

Only 1,100 were produced and due only to Triumph coming up with something better, and not based on the fact that it was deliberately intended as some kind of 'special edition' model?

Are there any TR6 owners who have driven both who would say that the TR6 is a better drive?

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Hi Kevin,

As I see it, a 5 is worth what someone will pay for it. It's the market that decides.

I set out with the idea of buying a 6, because that's the car I wanted as a kid, but having driven a few I found I didn't like the drive that much (they could have just been poor examples, of course). And as time went on, it dawned on me that I actually preferred the look of the 4, 4A, 5. I drove a 4 and it felt pretty good. I even put in an offer, but someone else beat me to it. I then saw a 5 for sale and thought it was worth trying it. When I did it felt perfect, in terms of power, drive and just the way it fit me (like the 4 did). It was the car for me.

Personally, I don't think a well sorted 6 offers any better a ride or comfort or equipment than a well sorted 5. Other than the looks, I don't think they are radically different cars. With the 6, I don't think Triumph came up with "something better", it was just something more modern. I'd be happy to have a good example of any of the TR range, but if I were asked now if I prefer the 6 or the 4, I'd have the 4 for its looks.

It's just a personal thing Kevin.

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes a marque will accidentally gin up a winner; this may be the case with the TR5, English iron inline 6 in an Italian skin with the innovative Targa top option to boot. The TR6 was a clear winner in its day, but so modern in appearance it still doesn't look vintage today.

Had TRIUMPH fitted the famous Weber DCOEs on TR5s and TR6s ( non-US market cars ) I believe the market would be far stronger for them.

Cheers,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I had a 6 and sold it to buy my 5. I weighed up the pros and cons and it was the right decision for me at the time. I had added as much value as I could to my 6 during my ownership and was ready for a new challenge. To drive there is little or no difference, but the looks now thats different. Personally whilst I really love the sharp clean lines of the 6, and the noise of both, I have to say I adore the curves of the 5. For me the shape of the bonnet, with the curves over the lights and big bump is just lovely and exactly what British sports car should look like and great to look out over from the cockpit.

Tim

When I first spotted a TR6 in 1969 I was hooked,I had to have one but no way could I afford one then.Go forward to 1984 I saw an advert which stated 'partly rebuilt with many new panels just needs finishing'. He was a small time dealer and I bought it off him.Six years later I was driving my dream.I drove it as a every day car for a couple of years then as much as possible after on dry days and holidays in Europe.

Sold it in 1994 (idiot) and then had a succession of modern motorbikes Bmw,s being my favourites and the last one a Triumph Thunderbird.

Had a couple of TR7,s one I was rebuilding to v8 spec with a very low mileage range rover engine but found too modern for me. I then wanted a TR5 and bought a project from TR Bitz in 1998. Six years later I was driving her after a total rebuild.I kept on adding uprated parts over the years till I was satisfied. Then retirement loomed and I was looking for a project to do when I did retire.It did not take long and I bought another TR5 project partly restored (recurring theme) and like the TR6 not very good.So into a total rebuild yet again.Will I ever learn!. Three years later

and I am driving him.This time I kept it faithfully to the factory build.

As for the difference in driving I am firmly with Tim.I love all the curves of the TR5 and the way it looks standing still.

Excuse the ramble.

Sunny day and I need to go for a drive.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Nice one Harry and Tim, agreed totally and also have similar stories about rebuilds etc,

As Harry says, the sun is out and tomorrow Blyton beckons, have fun boys.

Conrad.

Hello,

There will be I nice, excellent original and beautifull straight rhd TR5 Pi for sale, in Signal red with her genuine interior, seats, facia panel, steering wheel etc. incl. A- type overdrive and wire wheels. Only one respay all over the years. The final price should be about 44k euro. If there is any interest I can try to help come in touch with the seller.

Best regards

John