Door top apertures

Not entirely sure which part of the door you are on about, if its the slot in the top where the window goes then yes it should be a parallel hole.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Yes it's the window slot I was trying to describe. I had a closer look before I dropped them off at envirostrip , the outer lip that drops down into the door aperture is bent inwards giving the allusion of widening gap.

Mark

Hi Mark

When you come to reassembly, you really want to make sure that you have these panel gaps beaten/straightened before prep and painting. It is normal to come across things like this.

Also do a 'dry' assembly of door window mechanism to make sure everything runs smoothly. It is wise to do this on door shuts, bonnet and boot, complete with locks to check everything is okay. That way, when it's painted you'll know reassembly is straightforward.

Word of caution about Envirostrip. I avoided the process, and decided to rub it down dry, as at a classic car restorers near to me, a Capri had been stripped by immersion this way, but some of the chemical fluid remained inside box chassis sections unnoticed and started rotting out the members. So ensure it is completely free of chemical stripper and completely washed out when you get it back.

Regards

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Word of caution about Envirostrip. I avoided the process, and decided to rub it down dry, as at a classic car restorers near to me, a Capri had been stripped by immersion this way, but some of the chemical fluid remained inside box chassis sections unnoticed and started rotting out the members. So ensure it is completely free of chemical stripper and completely washed out when you get it back.

Regards

Kevin

Was that from them or SPL as I have seen that with theirs due to inadequate neutralisation.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Don't quote me but I believe it was envirostrip. It gutted a long section forward of the spring hangar and had to be cut out and welded. When I made enquiries about stripping my Cooper shell Sussex Blasting told me about it, and then I saw it first hand at Caburn's in Sussex.

As you know, at the end of the day half if not more of most classic panelwork is replaced anyway, so I took their advice and did the roof by hand, and got Sussex Blasters to do front/ back bulkheads, doors, bonnet inside boot etc. I knew that way there was no risk.

It's expensive and I do wonder whether it is a load of modern b@ll@cks tbh.

Regards

Kevin