Excellent! The Power of Social Media...it's where it's at! Hope the girl gets a Reward?

Good news you found it! Hope no damage.

On breaking in to one - locking a gate at work a few months back - it was freezing - I locked the gate with the engine running and door open, but when I'd got in a minute earlier the door handle had felt a bit funny, so before driving away I shut it again to try it.... it was now locked of course. With the keys in the ignition. And the other door locked also. Idiot! Think summat had been slightly frozen in the lock. Resisting the temptation to borrow a knife from my mates house 60 feet away managed to get in with the scarf from round my neck and a nice short branch that fell off a nearby tree. And popping the side of the hood. Couldn't possibly relate how, don't think that would be responsible! ;)

Have to say that for me the easiest theft prevention is to pull the know on the inertia switch. You have to be a real tr6 pi expert to know about it and with the contact broken you are not going to get very far.

Tim

I know we will never stop the professional thief but I have installed a lock on the bonnet pull cable and a battery imobiliser. A steering lock inside the engine bay could be my next option, has anybody done this?

The car is also marked with smartwater.

Cheers

Mark

Excellent! The Power of Social Media...it's where it's at! Hope the girl gets a Reward?

Great news that it's back Phil. That's a great picture!

Sean

Outstanding what a great result. Doesnt sound like a joy rider nor pro ready to export to Europe tho. But all the same well done and look after her, both the finder and the car. :)

Rest assured the girl who found it got a reward - which I had in any case mentioned on the many postings I made. She didn't ask for one, and thought it too much when I said how much it was and insisted she take it. I had already found the car at this point, following her information. But we met up the same day and she brought her little daughter with her who thought it was a great adventure. It was a lovely end. The photo I took at the scene of the crime is the first and possibly the last selfie I have ever taken. My wife says I never smile in photos! I think she's put two and two together though.......

Mark,

A steering lock inside the engine.

Yes. I fit a large padlock through the steering column UJ (I don't have the large rubber donut). The column then will not turn without the padlock contacting the bodywork and jamming.

Crude but as effective as most other devices. Often thought a large resistance in the fuel pump line to lower the voltage to perhaps 9 volts would give the right sounds but insufficient pressure to start and run(PI) . Simple then to bypass with a switch.

But you would have to only park in awkward spots to prevent a transporter getting it on board.

Alan

Why would the thief bother to put a cover over the car if they weren't going to return for the TR?

(Removing the rotor would not allow a start up.)

Great to hear of a stolen classic being recovered, I understand the chances are very slim, but the power of social media won.

Reading through the thread, it does seem that it maybe a opportunistic theft probably by a inexperienced thief.

Don tip was right in that it could be left close by awaiting to see if its recovered through a tracker.

I wonder did he take it to a place near him, maybe his garage, phoned a mate to boast what he done, who reminded him what if it has tracker fitted, who then suggested he take it and hide it near to where it was stolen, which may account for the movement of the car tracked through the APR camera's.

:)