Hi chaps

Does anyone have the ignition timing data for a TR6 CR model. I believe the engine is all standard! It has a Pertronix pick up in place of points. It also has a new crank damper I picked up in the states, and yes I checked the null line agrees with TDC.

Currently with the engine idling at circa 800 rpm I have strobed it and set to 11 deg BTDC this changes to about 29 deg at just over 2k rpm.

The manual mentions nothing for PI cars except static timing.

Hi chaps

Does anyone have the ignition timing data for a TR6 CR model. I believe the engine is all standard! It has a Pertronix pick up in place of points. It also has a new crank damper I picked up in the states, and yes I checked the null line agrees with TDC.

Currently with the engine idling at circa 800 rpm I have strobed it and set to 11 deg BTDC this changes to about 29 deg at just over 2k rpm.

The manual mentions nothing for PI cars except static timing.

Dave ( ? ),

Post #26 here gives the static and centrigugal advance:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/24915-tr6-ignition-timing/page-2

Your static is on spec at 11, but your total of 29BTDC at 2000rpm may be a little advanced over the book value ( 21BTDC). If it does not pink upon flooring the throttle at 2000rpm I would leave as is. The PI disy never had the vac advance connected so 29BTDC is in the direction of providing some cruise advance. (Most carb or efi engines of 9.5:1 compression would use ca 40-45BTDC, and a leaner mixture, at cruise).

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Peter

Thank you for that. Think I'll leave well alone. No pinking and it picks up ok. High speed crz is good as is acceleration, the issue now is slow speed driving where it doesn't sound happy and occasionally 'kangaroos'.

This I guess is down to the TB's and butterflies? Not helped by that dreadful linkage...what on earth were they thinking?

Hi, Dave,

I too suffered with that awful CR throttle linkage and wasted many hours of my life trying to get the best out of it.

In the end, I gave up and fitted an underslung linkage from Prestige (other types are available!) and now have the facility to adjust each of the pairs of butterflies individually, which made life a lot easier and got rid of the light throttle unevenness.

Good luck!

John

John

I am beginning to think along the same lines it's a right PITA. I pulled the TB's off cleaned everything up and checked for play in the spindles, and made up a tool to ensure they are lined up. Checked for air leaks but it's still eluding me!

Dave

Edited by daven