Paul afraid to say if your engine is for a GT6 then it will be 2 litres not 2.5 litres that it should be

ATB Graham

What are the first two characters of your engine number?

KC or KE is 2 litre GT6, rated around 100bhp.

CP or CR is 2.5 litre UK spec injected TR6, rated at about 150 and 130bhp respectively.

Nigel

Just cos its got a GT engine number,

dont mean its a 2 litre,

My GT, KE, is 2.5, not 2.0L

so maybe woe ever said it were a GT engine, actually meant it were a GT comm number, thats all.

M

Paul afraid to say if your engine is for a GT6 then it will be 2 litres not 2.5 litres that it should be

ATB Graham

Sorry I should have qualified that comment if its a standard GT6 engine then it will be a 2 litre, but it is possible its been worked on and converted to 2.5 litre. If its a 2 litre engine the stroke will be 3" if its a 2.5Litre then it will have a 3.7" stoke have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_I6

ATB Graham

The engine number just tells you what the block originally came from. What internals are in it now may well be vastly different to when it left the factory in a GT6.

There were a number of different blocks used but to a large extent the differences are insignificant so cranks, cams, timing gear, sumps, engine plates etc can be put into the different blocks. As has already said a 2.5 is a 2L with a longer stroke crank rather than a different bore. Swapping a crank alone would affect the compression ratio so that had to be factored in and the appropriate head and internals have to be used.

panic over,it turns out its a cc engine number its not the one it left the factory with according to the heritage certificate but i can live with that,thanks for the replies though.heritage certificate states number as...cc81936-he but actual number is cc 28835-he from 1969 i think;

Edited by Paulsb

Maybe there should be a new topic started, as in 'Who's now got my engine'

my long since departed is TS-26180-E