Moss Supercharger Electric Fuel Pump

Hi all,

Can anyone who has a Moss supercharger installation help me with the electric fuel pump. Mine has destroyed its self and I can't see which type it is? It looks like an Airtex ,but I have no idea of the model.

Can any one help?

Best regards,

Chris

Chris, Airtex isn't a name I associate with fuel pumps in UK. There are many fuel pumps that will do the job, I guess you want a 'drop in' replacement. Moss have not sold many kits over here, despite the interest. Try a PM to John Jervis, he has fitted the kit:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/user/12653-john-jervis/

Peter

Yo peter, Finally started the car.

What i've done is new engine, 40 over, goodparts gp2 cam, 9# flywheel, electric fan so got rid of the iron fan extension. The Moss damper is aluminum much lighter than stock. Only drove it one time a couple miles, no plates. Gassed it a bit in 1st and second. It revved super fast. Got to 5 grand so fast in both gears i was thinking it needs a rev limiter. Probably 28 pounds removed from the crankshaft. I have the higher boost pulley also. and low compression head.

I have a meth water kit not sure where to install the injector.

Need to get timing right. Never used a vac gauge but picked up a cheapy. Most vac i saw messing with timing was 15, i know the timings not right and i'll readjust the valves tomorrow Have 100 octane in it for the initial startup. Did check the plugs, all the same sooty. The sc is set rich to start with i read and i also flooded it a couple times. I also live at over 2000'.

Going to change from the petronix to points and also use champions not sure what the proper # is to run.

Edited by sixtynine

Yo peter, Finally started the car.

What i've done is new engine, 40 over, goodparts gp2 cam, 9# flywheel, electric fan so got rid of the iron fan extension. The Moss damper is aluminum much lighter than stock. Only drove it one time a couple miles, no plates. Gassed it a bit in 1st and second. It revved super fast. Got to 5 grand so fast in both gears i was thinking it needs a rev limiter. Probably 28 pounds removed from the crankshaft. I have the higher boost pulley also. and low compression head.

I have a meth water kit not sure where to install the injector.

Need to get timing right. Never used a vac gauge but picked up a cheapy. Most vac i saw messing with timing was 15, i know the timings not right and i'll readjust the valves tomorrow Have 100 octane in it for the initial startup. Did check the plugs, all the same sooty. The sc is set rich to start with i read and i also flooded it a couple times. I also live at over 2000'

Going to change from the petronix to points and also use champions not sure what the proper # is to run.

Mitch, you've got boost and rpm - excellent ! The weight of the blower has been shaved off the crank so no weight penalty either.

The meths/water spray can be directed into the mouth of the carb and will cool the mixture somewhat as it goes through the carb and blower, although I'd enquire of Moss if the teflon coatings on the rotors are methanol-safe in intermittent use.

The timing needs some thought. Off-boost a low compression head is going to work better with more advance than the stock ( UK ) spec 10-12BTDC. I use 16-18BTDC static with an 8.5:1 head. And keep the standard centrifugal advance. Detonation is the concern under boost and it will be most likely at around 3000-3500rpm. 8psi boost will add roughly two ratios so the effective compression rises from 7.75 to almost 10:1. That could be safe on 97RON, but might be marginal its tricky to say as temperature has an effect. However the water injection will add a safety margin, so you may well not need to retard the spark under boost. But dont run out of water or clog the jet if you rely on water to deter knock! I can help with estimating the effective 'spark retard' of the water if you know what the flow is. Tune it at 2000feet, and you will get a bit more boost at sea level so you need a decent safety margin over knock. To get the best cruise economy you might want to use more vacuum advance to say 45 BTDC, by changing the v-a capsule.

A rich mixture is safe as long as its not too rich. Ideally you'd want to measure it with a UEGO wideband AFR sensor in the exhaust, around $150. AFR around 12 under boost, otherwise ca 14 at cruise, maybe leaner if you have vac advance operating. The methanol will afftect the reading, I think it will go richer. Telling the mixure from the plugs means killing the spark when under boost and stopping the engine and pulling the plugs there and then, otherwise you are just looking at tickover mixture conditions.

I use two grades colder plugs than standard, but you can go colder providing the plugs dont foul.

cheers, Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold