Hi Guys,

I have just come across a barn find! It is a DOM 1966 TR4A Chassis CT 70837L (North American export). It was imported with papers from C&E dated 31/1/1991. Some work was undertaken and the body removed and painted with chassis and running gear sorted. It was then put under a cover in a garage for the past 25 years. It is of course not an IRS and has ridged suspension on springs.

It was never offered to the DVLA for its first "Licence and declaration for registration" and naturally never driven on the road so no MOT record, but as I said has been imported and besides the import entry number dated 30/1/1991it says VRM allocated. My first thought is to ask you all before I inevitably find that I can't speak to anyone at the DVLA for grown up advice!

So the question is:-

• If I buy it as a project what should I do as it has been imported but never registered and its in bits so I cant submit the car anywhere for testing, does it need a SORN etc

Thanks guys

Charles

PS I have a nice TR6 but miss the TR4A IRS I stupidly sold last year.

Edited by cotswold

Hi Charles

You will need to put the vehicle onto the nova register.I had to do the same with mine

last year.You need to email the c&e document to show import duty has been paid

and also the certificate of title.They also ask for the bill of sale from when you purchased

it.send all this info to jill.hughes@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

once vehicle is on the nova register you can apply for the v5 once vehicle has an mot

certificate.im still a long way off on my restoration at present so have not got my v5 yet.

Cheers

Nige

Thanks Nige

Will do, thanks for the advice and good luck with yours.

What is a 'certificate of title' I suspect that I can only get a sale agreement from the guy?

Charles

The certificate of title is the document like a v5 but american version.

There would be a section that is filled out to say the vehicle has been

sold on.The letter of sale is just to say who you purchased it from thats

all.Mine took several weeks to go onto the nova register.mine was also

imported in 91.The most important document is the c&e as this proves

that duties have been paid.

Cheers

Nige

Charles

As Nige says the current procedure is to apply for the V5C once the MoT has been obtained. In order to get an age related plate you will need to provide proof of manufacturing date which would be a Heritage certificate from Gaydon plus a dating letter from the relevant model Registrar. Also at the moment DVLA are inspecting nearly all applications via their contractors.

I suspect things were different 25 years ago so I would contact DVLA to see whether they have any record as you say the customs document says VRM allocated.

Mike

I phoned a really helpful guy at the NOVA office and he gave me the same info as Nige has provided above and suggested I add a covering letter explaining why it wasn't added to the NOVA register on arrival. I can't remember the number I called but it is somewhere on the GOV importing a vehicle website.

Rgds Ian

The Nova register was not up and going until April 2013 so any car imported before this time will naturally not be entered in the Nova register, I have a TR6 that was imported in Feb 2013 so need to do the same thing. If the American title is lost you probably would need a Heritage Certificate.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

Thanks, just discovered that it came from British Columbia Canada but I guess its the same procedure.

Charles