Hi guys, Have been living with and it is now getting worse a clicking noise coming from my fuel pump. When I turn the key on stage one you can here the fuel pump gurgle as it starts to suck but when the key is turned to second stage to fire it up there is nearly always a clicking noise from the pump. The car does not start and I have to turn the key back and then forward again before it will fire into motion. The number of times I have to do this is variable sometime one retry sometimes four or five. The pump is under the wheel arch and I have checked the electric connections which seem fine. There is a small glass pre filter from the tank to the pump and the pump is a Bosch one. Car seems to run fine when going. Any ideas as to what might be causing this would be gratefully received.

Paul

Sounds like a poor power connection, or earth.

Could be the ignition switch?

Or depending upon how it's wired , is there a ballast for the ignition?, a dodgy connection somewhere.

I would rewire the fuel pump with a relay and a fused feed from the battery, triggered by the ignition via the inertia cut off.

And rewire the earth feeds with the same diameter cable whilst at it.

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire

Hi Steve

Thanks for that. I thought it might be something like that. I have some new wiring with a relay that I was going to get around to fitting, now is the time. I just wanted to make sure it was not the pump itself that might be at fault.

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, check the glass filter, by removing and blowing through it. I had one of those and the nylon mesh filter looked clean but the mesh had closed up.

As you are posting on the TR5/TR250 thread I cannot see if anyone has asked what car you have.

Is it a PI 5 or a carb 250.

Your description of pump under wheel arch suggests a 250 carb model but you never know.

All sorts of things happen to these cars!

Different systems, different problems.

Steve

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in replying to you and thanks for the help.Steve I have an original tr5 pi uk model 1968. I have installed a new wiring supply with relay and car starts a sounds fantastic. Chris thanks for the tip about fuel filter, I have removed it and cleaned it out with new gause fitted. I will now check the ignition switch just to make sure it is ok. Many thanks for the help as always.

Paul