Gents, i am fitting my twin box exhaust (well trying) - a challenge single handed with a car only on short ramps !

The pipes fit very very snuggly and i will be using Mikalor clamps.

Is exhaust paste necessary?

I appreciate that it Is designed to set by heat, but applying paste and trying to fit the pipes, then jiggle around take in out jiggle again etc etc, I am guessing the paste will turn dry and powdery long before the engine is run some time in the future.

Cheers

Don't know about dry and powdery, but when putting my stainless steel system together the paste certainly helped with sliding them into one another.

Dave

====

As well as helping assembly by providing some lubrication, the paste helps stop the parts seizing together, which stainless is prone to do. I used Firegum, which stayed workable for a couple of hours.

Pete

I'm still trying to work out who Granville might be, and just where he fits into the lubrication equation . . . . . :ph34r:

Lawdie help us . . . . . McMuttley, Granville and a TR3 working up to a celebrity threesome perhaps ? :o

Not so much a paddling pool of olive oil as an inspection pit swimming in Duckhams and axle grease ? :wub:

Come on Austin, spit it out, spill the beans and not the beer . . . . . :D

Cheers ;)

Alec

I use CopaSlip between the stainless steel components of my exhaust. I had to remove the exhaust before Christmas in order to get the axle out, and it was not difficult to remove the whole exhaust, single-handed, from the gearbox hanger backwards - and it has been some years since I installed it.

Ian Cornish

OK Austin,

that does look strictly like garage useage only, I'm sure it'll do the job just fine.

I prefer the exhaust firmly glued together with paste, less likely to come apart over a speed hump than if it's copaslipped . . . . as I found out the hard way years ago.

Cheers

Alec

Mick,

I think it depends on the fit of your slip joints.

If they are as tight as you say, then what's the point of exhaust paste? Coppaslip will do as well for assembly, and will make dismantling easier, if necessary.

Obviously, I'v no idea of Pete's exhaust hanger arrangements, but to support both ends of a silencer is IMHO, advisable.

John

Mick,

I think it depends on the fit of your slip joints.

If they are as tight as you say, then what's the point of exhaust paste? Coppaslip will do as well for assembly, and will make dismantling easier, if necessary.

Obviously, I'v no idea of Pete's exhaust hanger arrangements, but to support both ends of a silencer is IMHO, advisable.

John

All as per the WSM John, but you'll remember the rearmost hangers are flexible...

Pete

I guess it depends how flexible are your danglers!

I have:

a 130890 clip direct to the 130888 bracket at the rear of the gearbox,

a short flexible at the pipe/silencer joint ahead of the axle (this goes to a horizontal bracket which is welded to the vertical face of the chassis - might be a special for Works' cars?),

and a short, vertical, flexible to the cross tube at the rear of the chassis.

This arrangement is "flexible", but in reality, it's pretty damn tight!

Ian Cornish