TR4 Steering rack

My TR4 has the early "ears" type steering rack fixing et al but the rack itself was a saloon rack and therefore is a little "slow".

This is something I would like to correct (now that I've got to the stage of worrying about carpet clips (my last posting)).

It would seem easier to buy outright a new "fast" rack from the likes of Moss, rather than find a standard one in known condition at the right price.

So - my question is does anyone have experience of a "fast" rack on a TR4 and basically, would they recommend it?

Thanks for any advice.

regards

Norman

I may be wrong (and I'm sure someone will soon correct me...) but I think that the early TR4's (like mine) have the so-called "quick" rack as standard which was changed later in the production run, for the reasons Alec gives, like so many other things.

True, or badly informed bollocks?

Edited by TorontoTim

Tim,

The early TR4 standard rack is often referred to as a "quick" rack

as it's quicker than the later rack.

Not a big difference, I don't think.

I suspect the Moss quick rack is quicker again.

Don't see any need for that for normal (i.e. spirited) road use.

AlanR

Norman,

I also think that the quick racks supplied by Moss limit the turning circle somewhat.

New standard racks are available, probably a better solution than the quick rack.

http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/product_display.asp?mscssid=TALM52GW2MHJ8HQT6S3P5SCWWLR13A7F&ProductID=305648

Cheers

Graeme

Thank you everyone - very helpful.

Looks like I buy the standard rack ratio.

Norman

I think you'll find that 2.5 steering wheel turns lock-to-lock was standard on all but very late TR4s - fitting wider wheels and/or tyres may well require adjustment to the lock stops . . . . resulting in less turns lock-to-lock simply because less of the rack length is being utilised, and the minimum turning circle increases accordingly.

TR4As utilised a much 'slower' rack of around 3.5 turns, presumably for lighter parking, whether or not this was fitted to later TR4s is an open question . . . . . possibly very late 4s only. What seems less questionable is that replacement racks for the TR4 became 3.5 at some stage, presumably a simpler option for Triumph than commissioning a small run of 2.5 racks.

TR5 and 6 racks appear to have been the same as 4A, but with wider wheels and adjusted lock stops the turning circle increased slightly and lock-to-lock reduced to maybe 3.35 or 3.25.

Cheers

Alec

I fitted a Moss quick rack to my TR4A some years ago. It did not increase the weight of the steering which remains generally light and very pleasant even at low speed on 165 tyres, It's not that twichy either if handled sensibly. All in all it's resulted in very nice steering feel. I did, about a year ago, receive from Moss a disclaimer that the rack was no more robust than the standard item which may well disappoint those who bought the rack for competition. Replacement gaiters are available but oddly Moss doesn't advertise them in the catalogue.