Fuel Tank Baffle - TR5 & early TR6

The TR5 and earlier TR6's had a fuel tank with no baffle around the outlet port. As a result of this these cars tend to lose fuel delivery when going around a left hand turn with less than 20-30% fuel level. With the original Lucas pump and plumbing this was overcome to some extent by the return fuel from the PRV feeding directly back into the fuel filter and thence back to the pump. However, when any of these cars are modified with a Bosch / Sytec pump system the original inlet filter is usually discarded as it restricts fuel flow through the pump to an unacceptable extent. Unfortunately this makes the loss of fuel delivery much more apparent.

The later TR6s had a redesigned fuel tank with a baffle around the fuel outlet port. I need to add this "feature" to my TR5. Yes, I could buy a new tank which is expensive enough to begin with but, by the time I get it to New Zealand, the freight and other costs adds about another £100 to the cost and it has been suggested that maybe I could modify the existing tank to resolve the problem.

Has anyone done this? Any major problems? Does anyone have any sketches, drawings, photographs, suggestions etc about how best to do this?

Thanks

Robert Johnston

Auckland, New Zealand

I had a non baffled tank with a rust hole in the bottom so I welded a sump made from about 4 inches length of inch and a half diameter tube over the hole, and took the feed for the pump out of the bottom of the tube.

Being off centre, it still left room for the spare wheel.

When the tank rusted away again I had an alloy one made up with the same feature, I shall see if I can take a photo of it tomorrow and post it on here.

Neil

Just realised I had an old photo of the original tank and sump. It would have been better if it was a few inches deeper as I still used to get fuel starvation problems on track days at Blyton Park when I got below half a tank due to it being an anti clockwise circuit, but for road use it was absolutely fine.

post-5223-0-46735100-1461530763_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stag powered