Improving headlights

Yes and seperate fuses then there is no strain on the main switch or dip switch

Roger

ps go for the 30amp relays(a bit over kill but safe)

Edited by rogerguzzi

+1 for separate relays. I also wired mine so that main-beam selection switches on both the main and dipped beam filaments. Not illegal. Austin

Edited by Austin Branson

Simon,

Do you have a radiator fan with a relay, a fuel pump with a relay etc?

Could I suggest that whatever relay(s) you choose for the headlights is of the same type and rating, then you only ever need to carry one spare.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

DIY

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et206a.htm

Doddle to do on Mico cars and TR6.as you have a huge space for relays around the radiator. Messy on Sidescreens, unless you hide the relays under the dash on the plate behind the M Cyls.

Peter W

Nope. one relay per filament i.e. two for dipped and two for main beam, that way if the relay fails you don't lose either all main or all dipped.

John.

My goodness thats like catching the bus before the bus before the bus so you are not late?

You could use these sort of relays.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221289619616?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thats the type I used on the electric fan but not on the headlighs I used a seperate fuse box as I wanted extra fuses for the Megajolt ignition and electric fuel pump.

Roger

ps just ordered 2 of these thought it wise as I have 4 on the car now! and even if not the best quality they are not worked hard(10/12amps)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111581062672?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by rogerguzzi

+1 for separate relays. I also wired mine so that main-beam selection switches on both the main and dipped beam filaments. Not illegal. Austin

Does that not over heat the bulbs a cause a short life span?

Roger

Edited by rogerguzzi

DIY

Doddle to do on Mico cars and TR6.as you have a huge space for relays around the radiator. Messy on Sidescreens, unless you hide the relays under the dash on the plate behind the M Cyls.

Peter W

Easy to hide the relays on a sidescreen car, under the lip of the front apron by the tie member. You can even use the tie-member fixing bolt to mount the bracket.

DIY

Peter W

This is how I've hidden my relays http://ijonsson.se/triumph/photo_diary.php?day=el&folder=el&id=IMG_1020

...why hide them, they look great. I like a good relay.

Roger

Until you drop the baton?

Roger

+1 for separate relays on dipped and full beam. I would avoid powering both filaments on full beam use, the additional heat may shorten life and possibly impact the reflective surface on the light holders. Although, if usage is low you could argue that it's not really an issue. Fit some good quality lamps with good light output. Mine are Philips which have quite a white light, may have been their +130% type.

I've wired my Lucas spots to come on via a separate relay with my full beam, 4 lamps that provide huge amounts of light.

Easy to hide the relays on a sidescreen car, under the lip of the front apron by the tie member. You can even use the tie-member fixing bolt to mount the bracket.

I didnt bother with relays for the headlamps but I did add them for the future fog and spot lamps and I put them where they would be largely out of sight but still accessible if I needed to swap one out.

IMAG0041_zpsjmay45d2.jpg

• 4 months later...

Any H4 bulb should do the trick as long as you don't have ancient BPF bulbs or sealed beam units.  I and others use Osram Nightbreakers - I think the latest version is called Unlimited.

Hi Folks,

it is amazing just how different H4 bulbs can be.

The standard H4 glows and illuminates the road, to a degree. and uses about 5 amps.

Xenon bulbs are a great improvement. Still use 5 amps but you can see far more.

Halford do some 'extra' powerful ones and these are very good - still with 5 amps.

I haven't tried the 'Nightbreakers' yet and they sound very good.

However I fitted a pair of Philips Supa Dupa really bright SuperNova's the other week and these are stunning - still only 5 amps

(X-treme power)

But. I can't remember where I bought them from.

Compared to the HID units I think they would hold their own on any country road.  AND they do NOT blind the on-coming traffic.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

It is so easy:

No need to use illegal bulbs and those HID scrap.

Simply measure the voltage at the bulb and you will see the possible improvement

with relays and direct lining of the 14 volts from the alternator to the bulb!

Simply light the bulb in the evening and watch the glass.

Often there are little bubbles enclosed that make the glass shine like mist.

That is the light power that is lost!

So I simply recommend to use the Hella glass &reflector as a direct replacement

for Germany. Do not know if the provide that for right hand drive but its worth a try.

They are simply perfect!

The Range Rover clear glass ones are also very good but give our TRs a much

to modern look and I would not recommend them.

The OSRAM night breaker bulb is also my first choice.