Triumph Tr6 a type or j type overdrive?

Dear all. I need some help. I just got out the engine and gearbox of a CP chassis TR6 but the gearbox was sitting on a bracket fitted in front of the gearbox mountings. Does this mean that the car is fitted with a J type overdrive or does it have a saloon car overdrive? Photos attached. What I find strange is that there is an overdrive on the 2nd gear as well which to all I know was not offered in a J type. Photos attached. I hope this is not a CP car with a CR chassis

post-13496-0-01751400-1460287824_thumb.jpeg

post-13496-0-57546000-1460287840_thumb.jpeg

post-13496-0-99114200-1460287860_thumb.jpeg

It is an A type. The serial number starts with 22 which means 22% reduction in rpm when engage. The second number in the serial number suppose to say from which car it originally came. I recently checked mine and it was tr2000 not necessarily from a tr6. Note that the overdrive engages when two things happen the driver turned the overdrive on and the micro switch (regulator) on the top of the gearbox is turned on by the gear lever. If u don't have the right micro switch it could be that u would be able/unable to engage the overdrive in atypical gears. For example my gear did not have any micro switches so the overdrive engages in all gears including neutral and reverse. Very bad ... I will install the proper micro switches in the gear top. Hope this helps.

CR Chassis with added bracket for CP style A type overdrive gearbox. Did not need to weld the brackets in, could have used the non overdrive connection/mounting plate for CR chassis. Item 160117 http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/engine-gearbox-mountings.html

Peter W

• 9 months later...

I know this thread has gone cold but I recently bought a 75 TR6 and am in the process of changing a few bushes and seals. I am at the point of changing the OD mounting bushes which appear to be for a none OD gearbox. Further inspection reveals that I have an A type OD unit. Is this setup a satisfactory one as I did have a clunk when engaging the OD?

Any advice appreciated

Andy

Hi Roger,

I'm changing all the UJ's through the winter period so we shall see come spring. I did find all the mount nuts to be loose which won't help. The diff mounts look solid still, I was just curious about how the A type OD was supported, is it the correct way?

Cheers

Andy