Fuel Sender Earth - early 3A

All I have is a green wire from the sender to the loom, neither the sender nor the tank are earthed.

Does the sender rely on the fuel gauge earth ? or on re-assmebly should I be attaching an earth from the sender lid and/or tank to body ?

TVM

There should be an earth wire from a ring connector on one of the tank sender screws to one of the tank straps

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stu - as I have just painted the straps, can I attach the earth to the bolt that attached the strap to the floor ?

(hopefully this might fix may wayward fuel gauge)

Yes, as long as it makes a good contact. (scrape off any paint which may be in the way)

Both the sender, & the gauge need a good earth.

Bob

Hi Austin,

Bob is spot on about the need for a good earth.

I'd scrape back the paint a little to ensure really good contact, screw it up, then apply a generous blob of glue from a hot melt glue gun to seal the earthing point against corrosion - as the glue cools, just mould it round with fingertips. You can do similar with any spade or bullet connections too, encase the joint in glue, helps keep moisture out and current flowing freely . . . .

Cheers

Alec