TR3 Wing/Windscreen stanchion mirrors

We only have a rear view mirror on our recently purchased 1956 TR3. This is fine with the top down, but we seek greater confidence when the hood is up and visibility is poor. We want to keep things 'in period' but ideally wish to avoid drilling into the wing. Bill Piggot's book on TR2-3A (p 51) shows a neat period Desmo mirror attached to the windscreen stanchion but this also involves drilling. Any thoughts on what would be best and appropriate?

Thanks,

John and Pam Reay

Hi John welcome to the forum.

Your question often asked and has many solutions,

Use the search facility here to get loads of pictures,

Biggest single problem is when the side screens are fitted they tend to catch unless the

Mirror is lowdown - often fitted on one or the two stanchion screws,

Excellent for one on the drivers side but useless if you want a matching pair.

I have photos in the desktop at home if yo PM your email address happy to send after the weekend.

John

Visibility, going down the Motorway was always my problem. I had the rear of the Hood altered to allow the rear window to Zip down as in the TR6. It cannot easily be seen, allows a flow of air through Hood, cost me £20.00, best money I have spent ,

post-917-0-61006600-1460188506_thumb.jpgpost-917-0-00953700-1460188537_thumb.jpgHi John and Pam, Here is my solution, fitted with just one slightly longer stanchion screw, (Hasn't moved in years), gives good visibilty and clears the sidescreens when opening the door. Hope this helps, Bill

Edited by billy l

Billy,

That looks pretty good. Where did you get the mirror and bracket?

Off topic, sorry, but prompted by the photos:

Do you find the wind deflectors do anything?

What is the indicator set up you have? How does it fit? Does it self cancel?

Martin

Hi Martin, I have the same wind deflectors and yes I ind they make a significant difference - especially stopping buffeting with the hard top on.

My Mirrors are far less conventional. I have morgan mirrors on the doors themselves (not what the OP is after)

96405070-F777-4213-8B33-E96B08FF25C4_zps

......but something to consider is the morgan rear view mirror, which sticks on the screen, allows good views through small rear windows and over boot racks/bags. (look up librand).

3b802592-ad48-4b09-b0a5-06ad402ad902_zps

All non-original, but I put safety over originality !

http://www.librands.co.uk/products-category-12.html

Edited by McMuttley

We only have a rear view mirror on our recently purchased 1956 TR3. This is fine with the top down, but we seek greater confidence when the hood is up and visibility is poor. We want to keep things 'in period' but ideally wish to avoid drilling into the wing. Bill Piggot's book on TR2-3A (p 51) shows a neat period Desmo mirror attached to the windscreen stanchion but this also involves drilling. Any thoughts on what would be best and appropriate?

Thanks,

John and Pam Reay

Hi John

I could never decide whether to fit wing or stanchion mirrors and if so, which type. View locally is that the clamp on stanchion ones invariably come loose and/or fall off and some types will get in the way of clamp on wind deflectors so I've discounted those and wing mirrors, even convex ones, have a limited field of view

I use simple Summit suction mirrors stuck on the bottom corners of the windscreen. They are close enough to you to give a decent field of view, work with or without the side screens, are effective on the near and off side, don't interfere with the view forward or to the side, can be removed if required and are cheap. It could be worth trying one.

Phil

Visibility, going down the Motorway was always my problem. I had the rear of the Hood altered to allow the rear window to Zip down as in the TR6. It cannot easily be seen, allows a flow of air through Hood, cost me £20.00, best money I have spent ,

Hi TS1144

I started a thread about two weeks ago about a zip out window for my TR3A. Can you P.M. me a photo of your zip down type please.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the minimalist stanchion-mounted mirror on my car, which is about the same as Bob's setup. This is an item available from a number of suppliers as a body-panel-edge mounted mirror for things like Minis. I picked mine up from a stand at the Goodwood Revival. The mount had to be bent a little to allow the mirror to be adjusted to the correct angle. You'll see the twist in the photos. (Click on any of them to enlarge.) It clamps just fine -- no drilling -- to the stanchion plate on my TR3B using only socket-headed grub screws bearing on a stainless plate and two small rubber pieces (the original kit that came with the mirror).

i-6z8LBFg-X3.jpg

i-Q7v69Bq-X3.jpg

You can see how unobtrusive it is in this shot.

i-MDTHhSV-X3.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Yes, I noted that Dons' would not allow use of sidescreens.

Mine started off the same as Don's but I re-shaped the bracket to position the mirror to be in front of the stanchion, & (just) clear of the sidescreen.

Bob.

Looks Nice Don!

This solution is great except when using sidescreens.

Yes, but that's not a problem on my car, Edwin -- I don't even have sidescreen brackets mounted on my doors!. Maybe some day.

Not sure if this link works ?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/45158993827/permalink/10154050937073828/?pnref=story

Mirma Led Verlichting

If not search the name in Facebook and scroll down his posts to see various pcs of stanchion screw mounter mirror

Not sure if this link works ?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/45158993827/permalink/10154050937073828/?pnref=story

Mirma Led Verlichting

If not search the name in Facebook and scroll down his posts to see various pcs of stanchion screw mounter mirror

nice solution. have looked at it, requires drilling and tapping in the stanchion where originally the dzus for the mounting of the stanchion is..

...it requires drilling and tapping in the stanchion where originally the dzus for the mounting of the stanchion is...

On later cars, of course, the Dzus mounts for the windscreen were replaced with screws anyway.

ISTR somebody did a Dzus mount on the end of a mirror stalk to keep the original mounting system intact?

On later cars, of course, the Dzus mounts for the windscreen were replaced with screws anyway.

ISTR somebody did a Dzus mount on the end of a mirror stalk to keep the original mounting system intact?

unfortunately this is not the correct thread.. i believe its an european M thread. so still needs tapping

unfortunately this is not the correct thread.. i believe its an european M thread. so still needs tapping

Dunno about that version. The guys from the TR Register Australia often use a similar version made and sold by one of their members, which is a drop-in design.

When I was restoring my TR, I had the same question. What I did it is take a lot of pics of cars on TR club days. Inspirational, so to speak. Here's a list!

The first pic is from my car: a thin alloy strip between the stanchion and the front windshield surrounding with a small base where the mirror is bolted on.

The final 3 pics are the most interesting: the guy who made that, constructed a tapered base that slides down over the stanchion. The tapered shape 'locks' itself on the stanchion. The profile of the tapered base defines the height of mirror in relation to the position when you're driving: don't put it too high up: you will block your view when you look at traffic coming from the side.

P1030642-1-1.jpg

P1000516.jpg

P1000518.jpg

P1000519.jpg

P1000520.jpg

P1000523.jpg

P1000526.jpg

P1010866.jpg

P1010867.jpg

P1010861.jpg

Edited by Menno van Rij 2
  • 2 years later...

I use a suction cup mirror in the bottom corner of the windscreen. It provides good blind spot coverage through the side screen window when they are fitted and can easily be shifted to the passenger side when driving in mainland Europe or tucked Ito the glovebox if you want things tidy for shows. 

You will find here the details for the mirrors sold by Imparts.nl

The diameter is 10,5 cm... It is a small production done by an handcraft (for the stem and the adaptation for the dzus fastener) So the price is quite expensive in comparison with other mirrors  but they are much better for the car and you will save twice 16,56 € for the dzus fastener you need in all case. I payed 225 € for two mirrors + 18,5 € for shipping

Wilco Beijer (phone number 0031 26 4429937) is my contact and his adress by mail is info@imparts.nl (I mention his name in the subject of the mail)

Kind regards to all ou you

Luc

Edited by ecobooster