'64 TR4 restoration continues

post-12921-0-92415200-1460052372_thumb.jpgpost-12921-0-70581400-1460052522_thumb.jpgpost-12921-0-16725800-1460053090_thumb.jpgpost-12921-0-81355700-1460053992_thumb.jpgpost-12921-0-11306900-1460054077_thumb.jpg

I have started putting in the Dynamat sound insulation to the interior floors and firewall, I'm marking the holes I cover with tie-wraps and as far as I can see the only cable run through the car is down along the right side edge.

My new Fly away handbrake is installed and working, it seems that I must cut a half moon out of the poly tunnel to accommodate the rubber seal , I don't know why that 90 degree connection is there yet I must investigate that one, sometimes some TR3 parts get involved if I'm not alert.

I have two versions of the original rear firewall one is hard-board and the other is 1/8" plywood I have used these as a template to cut out an aluminum version and I had a 1" fire blanket made the same shape should fit neatly between the bulkhead and the gas tank.

I have not really figured out how I am going to fasten the fire wall yet, it will be simple to through-bolt it to the angle strips but they are very flimsy, I may invent something. Bottom line that back wall is fire protection only and not an attempt at impact protection. Not going to Baghdad.

I am changing the car to Negative earth ( doesn't seem to be a big deal from what I read )

I want to fit an Alternator, the old Generator I have is in a sad condition and to have that re-furbished plus the cost of a new pre-set and adjusted Voltage regulator would come to the same cost as an alternator so thats the way I'm going.

I've wandered off the path of originality long ago with this project, on that note I am also installing an electronic distributor by Pertronix a flame thrower,

anybody else that has been down this road of electronic ignition I would love to hear from you, I'm trying hard not to miss anything.

As usual all and any comments are of great value to me, Thank you for your help and interest

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Is the 90 deg connection between the gearbox and speedo ? with cables going in and out ? If so you don't need it on a TR4, they are fitted on TR4a upwards. On a TR4 the speedo cable comes out direct at an angle and goes down at about 45 degrees then sweeps round into the engine compartment.

Mick Richards

Sound deadening stick on panels dont need to cover the whole floor or they dont really work so well, they are to stop drumming on the larger flat sections so a pad stuck in the middle will do just as much (See modern car floor pans)

Stuart.

Sound deadening stick on panels dont need to cover the whole floor or they dont really work so well, they are to stop drumming on the larger flat sections so a pad stuck in the middle will do just as much (See modern car floor pans)

Stuart.

agree,

have used it on my tr2 in the doors.. and one panel on the fuel tank. thats it..