Shed me how much (to Day at Sandown Park)

Hi All

So I was browsing through some of the online auctions as you do and I came across A TR4 which was pleasantly described as

This car is described by the vendor as a solid example of the Triumph TR4, first registered in February 1963 ,The car is a one owner vehicle and comes with the original log book.

I went and looked at this car today and the best way I could describe it was it was a solid but certainly a barn find. So I stayed to see if it would even make Guide Price: £8,000 to £11,000.

some i was quite shocked when the bidding went up and over 15,000 pounds then past 18,000 pounds and here it seemed to falter for a bit then carefully and very tentatively settled, are you ready for this 24,300 pounds plus all the auction fees. what she am I missing here SHED me.

And as several hours later I still can't believe it and I don't believe I'm writing this post what is going on with a classic car market.............. James

http://www.barons-auctions.com/auction_details.php?aid=15&cid=575

post-10918-0-48947200-1459957412_thumb.jpgpost-10918-0-17230800-1459957426_thumb.jpg

Did you see how much the blue 3a went for ?

ATB Graham

Hi James,

like you I am staggered. You can buy a well sorted TR4 for that money.

The new owner will need to stick another 10 - 15K on top to make it good.

Prices should go up. Sometimes more than they should but this is madness.

Roger

Another thread entirely, but about the 'Bomb' starter, with a rounded protector over the pinion.

I've got one of those!!!!!!! I thought, How much are they worth?

£300! At Rimmers: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID200517

But slow, my beating heart. The starter on my shelves has that rounded end, but not the narrowed section between that and the body.

It's from some thing else.

Is that price another expression of an inflating market?

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi Graham

The blue 3A got to 22,000 but was provisional and in the end was not sold.

James...

WOw that was on a dealers forecourt at £18k last week ex South African car

ATB Graham

1. one owner

2. genuine UK RHD

3. first log book and MOT = complete provenance

4. original Surrey top

5. Believable 50k miles from new

6. Almost totally original including parts no longer available like chrome indicator stalk which actually indicates it is totally genuine

7. Capable of careful, conservative repair to show standards

Find me another one and start the thread again..........

1. one owner

2. genuine UK RHD

3. first log book and MOT = complete provenance

4. original Surrey top

5. Believable 50k miles from new

6. Almost totally original including parts no longer available like chrome indicator stalk which actually indicates it is totally genuine

7. Capable of careful, conservative repair to show standards

Find me another one and start the thread again..........

See my reply on the parallel thread.

Stuart.

Hi Stan,

I think it is the polite way of swearing in text. A bit like fiddlesticks instead of f*&k @t.

Mind you I have a small shed and when I banged my head on the door frame I didn't say shed.

Roger

Got it, thanks Roger. So when Sue tells you to shut the shed up she is not concerned about someone stealing the lawnmower.

'Shed' in this context is a term for a very dilapidated

Vehicle, can be used for cars either still 'on the road' or not,

As in " you still driving that 'shed' " or I wouldn't have bought that 'shed'

Comes from the fact that sheds. I.e. Garden sheds can be very run down if neglected.u

First heard the term during banter between to taxi drivers.

John

Edited by john

Classic car prices are rising everywhere,

I have always wondered why the price of a tr4 is low in comparison to other. Have seen Spitfires and gt6 reaching pricelevel of 20000£. On dutch online marketplaces tr4' do 10000£ little money for much car.

Good to see theres appriciation of a mostly original paint, panel surrey top car :)

She is, but being British is far too polite to say so.

Oi.....!

!post-5419-0-47136100-1460106469_thumb.png I'm only 38% British. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Edited by SuzanneH

Crikey, am I wasting my time restoring my TR4 ?

Should I just send it to auction as it is, maybe I am spoiling it as a full blown amateur, maybe I am devaluing my car.

It is a UK 1964 TR4 two owners with copy original log book, BRG with wire wheels and overdrive.
All exterior panels still in original paint, even has chrome indicator stalks.

So, is it worth more left alone or 'rebuilt' by me with the stanpart panels I got with the car, it came off the road in 1988 and the panels were all purchased then, I must say they have been an excellent fit.

BTW, Dawn and kego, look like you both doing a superb job, hope mine will look that good soon.

Edited by RobG

Hi Rob,

Worry not, continue, you are on the right track with the car and parts that you have purchased and its ongoing restoration.

This particular TR4 seems to have achieved a special aura of being an original time capsule to be re-awakened after a touch of light restoration, having actually seen the car, this is far from the truth.

This TR4 was originally a convertible model, which at some point has been changed to a Surrey Top and this conversion has only been half completed.

The interior trim is totally past redemption, the instruments are a mixture of domed and flat glass, the sun-visors are unusable.

At some point this car has been involved in an accident to the offside, visible signs still being present and the bonnet has been replaced with a later version probably following the accident.

The front offside wing has serious corrosion in, around, above and below the sealer plate / inner splash panel and inner wing. All the stainless steel wing trims require replacement, all are dented and one is held in place with a self tapper.

Both sill have been unconventionally "partially" replaced evidenced by incorrect joints and visual pop rivets.

At some point both rear wings have been off the car and incorrectly re-fitted - the wings themselves have signs of strong corrosion in the usual areas.

The car has been re-sprayed a number of times with hand brush painting under the bonnet and in my opinion none of it is of a quality that it could be recovered.

The boot spare wheel cover is missing, the rear petrol tank cover panel is missing, the engine does run but has a knock and the carbs leak - all as advised by the Auction House.

One of the steel wheels is bent, the rear suspension on the nearside requires attention, the top of the boot lid is bent and both hinges are basically scrap because of this. The petrol filler cap have massive number of corrosion craters, the front bumper was bent in two places and the rear light lenses are odd - one being TR4 and one being TR5.

I could go on, but the list is rather long.

The purchase price of £27,440 was a total surprise to me as this car is not even one of the first production batch of cars with the very special features. It is a car that probably rolled off the production line during October 1962 but did not find an owner until February 1963.

It does retain many of its original fitments, however without doubt it does require a complete restoration and this will obviously cost a rather large sum of money, I trust the new owner will carry-out a proper re-build sympathetic to its age and production, retaining its originality where possible.

I can only assume that the hype of a one owner car caused the bidding fever, pushing the price up to such an unrealistic figure.

Regards, Richard

Richard,

Well you certainly highlighted a few bad areas on that car, I gather you have seen the car in the flesh.

This will be an eye opener for the new owner if he happens to be TRR member.

Pop rivets in the sills, sacre bleu, I use them to position, but they are removed puddle welded over on finish, hope that ok.

Re-sprayed several times ? I thought this was an 'original unmolested barn find' ?

Thank you, I am revitalised, I will get back to my restoration with new vigour.

Have nearly finished new bodyshell rebuild, lifting carefully onto suspension frame so I can roll out chassis and start on suspension and drivetrain.

post-13965-0-67163400-1460149780_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobG

I think we need to recall here that many a UK Michelotti TR was in need of a major rebuild by the mid-1970s . . . . if it hadn't already been scrapped by virtue of terminal corrosion, that is.

For sure I don't remember that many decent unrestored TR4s or 4As by the 1980s - a few, but very much the rare exception, not the rule.

Richard's observations seem to me to be pretty much in line with the average unrestored TR of the latter 1970s, and to that extent this one as he describes it is indeed a time warp - in the condition that we might have expected 40 years ago.

Cheers

Alec