TR6 dash refurbishing.

Hi Malcolm

I have just been through a similar thought process and came to the conclusion that it is not economically worth it, unless you really love your dash. If it is some form of 2 pack poly or similar normal paint strippers won't touch it unless you have a lot of patience. A hot air gun might work but you run the risk of damaging the veneer underneath.

You probably have 3 choices - put your current one back and live with it, especially if it is not too bad; buy a new one at about £275 ( I think); or, make one yourself if you can. I am currently doing just that and it will probably take about 20 hours to complete but the new one is a much better fit than the old (repro) one. I'm using 6mm walnut 'veneer' so if it gets damaged it should be reasonably straightforward to repair. And, I won't be finishing it in 2 pack!

Hope you managed to get yourself sorted.

Ollie

The original finish is very tenacious, but I found that methylene chloride strippers will remove it if you are patient. I will take multiple applications, and some scraping. The scraping is problematic, though, since the veneer is paper thin, and very vulnerable, especially in areas of short grain, like between instrument cutouts. It is very likely that once the finish is removed, the veneer won't be in any condition suitable for refinishing.

Ollie outlined some reasonable options. One other one is to re-veneer the original dashboard. That's the path I chose: http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-45/TR6-45.html

Ed

SDC12727a.JPG

I re-veneered my dash a few years ago, and finished it with Danish oil

Very happy with the result, still looks great and easy to oil again when needed

Steve

I stripped mine using a hot air gun, but you have to be very careful as its a balance between softening the 2 pack and scorching the veneer underneath. I still decided to re veneer my dash in the end, but to be honest it was a faff and I'm still not happy with the finish think I would buy an of the shelf one if I was doing it again, but thats me and if you have read any of my previous posts you will know that my technical curiosity far outstrips my practical ability !

ATB Graham

Hi Malcolm

I really enjoyed the job or re-veneering my dash.

At the time I thought I might not be able to do the job, as never done anything like it before, but with patience it wasn't too difficult.

I sanded the old dash, used iron on veneer and scalpels to cut the holes.

Danish oil for a satin finish, and furniture crayons for the cutouts.

It looks good two years and a bit later !

My thinking at the time was to have a go, and worse case buy a new one if I bu66ered it up!

Turned out well and gives me pleasure to know I did it myself, am easily pleased

So for the cost of veneer and crayons, about £40?, I'd recommend trying !

Regards

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire

Hi Malcolm.

Have a Google in your area for re veneering companies. I had mine done for £40 cash then took it to the paint shop for them to add a few coats of 2k lacquer.

Very pleased with the results and had a huge choice of veneers.

Good luck Mark.

Hi Folks,

£300 is a lot of dosh for a piece of wood. However is it economic to do it yourself. Probably not.

Many hours of work that could go wrong at every turn plus an amount of expertise that you may not have.

As mentioned removing the old lacquer is not easy. I used a hot air gun that worked OK but was slow. 12 Hours apprx.

The coating is difficult. I used a Rustin's 2K product and brushed it on. The brush strokes would not go away. Definitely a spray job.

You can get aerosol 2K lacquer that may do a good job.

Every step of the way costs money - so £300 for new dash is becoming within reach.

£300 becomes an attractive option - Last week-end I bit the bullet and bought a burr elm dash - it really looks stunning; I shall keep it in the garage.

Roger

Hi Malcolm

I really enjoyed the job or re-veneering my dash.

At the time I thought I might not be able to do the job, as never done anything like it before, but with patience it wasn't too difficult.

I sanded the old dash, used iron on veneer and scalpels to cut the holes.

Danish oil for a satin finish, and furniture crayons for the cutouts.

It looks good two years and a bit later !

My thinking at the time was to have a go, and worse case buy a new one if I bu66ered it up!

Turned out well and gives me pleasure to know I did it myself, am easily pleased

So for the cost of veneer and crayons, about £40?, I'd recommend trying !

Regards

Steve

Steve, Danish Oil - now that's an idea! Did you have to fill the grain as you applied it and if so, how?

Regards, Richard

I'm also going through dash re-veneer using teak. The original lacquer is very stubborn - I found the best approach was to use a sharp wide chisel by hand to remove it. Mine had a couple of cracks in the lacquer which gave me the start to chip away using the corner of the chisel to make best progress. The lacquer flys around the shop but didn't take too long once in the groove. This isn't the most sympathetic removal technique and you will probably end up with a couple of small divots or chipped veneer - but if you are replacing anyway it's not a problem.