Hi Folks,

good news - the crank is ready for collection. All went well.

Perhaps I can now get on with assembling the engine once and for all.

Roger

Great news Roger, now you can crack on.

Roger, the crack down the inlet valve throat on my 4A head was successfully weld repaired by Fraser Brown Engineering of Dingwall, Ross Shire (tel 01862 851600 enquiries@fraserbrowneng.co.uk. The job was turned round inside a week and the welding only cost £100. Prior to that I did get a quote from Slinden Services that was simply eye watering!!

I hesitate to say this but the welding job was subbed out by TMI who finished the head for me. I know one can only speak as one finds but I went to TMi following a recommendation from Harry Dent, who had never steered me wrong in the past, and I was more than happy with their work, which resulted in saving the original head, on my car, as breathed on by SAH in the early seventies.

Tim

Hi Folks,

good news - the crank is ready for collection. All went well.

Perhaps I can now get on with assembling the engine once and for all.

Roger

How much did these guys have to do to balance your already "balanced" crank, Roger? Wasn't it something like 200g the other guys claimed to need removing?

Hi Don,

it was actually pretty good. Only 3 or so grammes to sort out.

So the original workshop were able to do something reasonably well but I'm disappointed with the time scales and the work on the head.

Roger

That's not too bad then, Roger. I had fears of it being butchered. The shop has salvaged a bit of their reputation in this case.

Hi Folks,

I did a very clever thing earlier today.

Sorted the valve timing out.

Fitted the sprockets.

Fitted the chain t.ensioner

Fited the gasdket with its sealant.

Fitted the cover.

Fitted the pulley and bolted it all together.

About 1/2 an hour later guess what I spotted - the bl**dy oil thrower that fite between the crank sprocket and pulley.

The pulley now doesn;t want to come off. So off to Halfords and buy a decent three leg puller.

The pulley came out easily faced with the muscle of this new puller.

Anyway, the engine is now assembled to a fair level.

Tomorrow I shall stick the gearbox on the end and given a fair wind it may well end up inside the car. Fingers crossed.

Roger