I have a TR6 (1971 CP) with a wavering and quite loudly clicking speedo. Some of the gyrations of the needle are quite dramatic, moving 40 mph. I'd rather not replace the speedo as I'll lose the original mileage which I believe to be genuine.

Does anyone have a recommended repairer as I'm reluctant to start digging around inside the unit as I feel that's beyond my pay grade.

Thanks

Chris S

Green TR6 UNM 855K

post-13490-0-84691700-1459631352_thumb.jpg

Speedy Cables (London) Ltd Abercrave, Swansea SA9 1SQ 01639 732213

They have been doing this work for years and can set the mileage to read the same..

good luck

Richard

By chance Chris, I've been looking around today for a firm that offers a speedo recalibration service. This is for a friend who has a 5 with a speedo that is over reading by about 20%. I came up with this outfit - http://www.jdo1.com/speedos.html

I've not had any direct experience of the firm so cannot recommend it as such, but it might be worth you taking a look at it, along with the one that Richard suggested above.

Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Vintage British Cables in Canada has a scanned copy of a brochure on "The Care of Smith's Instruments" on their website that might give you some insight into the root cause of your problem. Check to see if it's a cable or gauge issue -- you might not need to touch your speedo if it's only the cable.

http://vintagebritishcables.com/The-Care-of-SMITHS-Instruments.php

"Repairing Jaeger & Smiths Speedometers"

20 pages or so, diagrams, photos.

Anybody wo wants a copy of this should PM me with an email address.

The one by Anthony Rhodes c 2000, Alan? It's available from several hosts on the 'net:

http://triumph.daveola.com/NOTES/Speedo_Repair.pdf

Thanks to all. I'll probably follow up on John Ostick.

Chris

Chris, don't be afraid to fool around with the speedometer cable. It's pretty easy to work on, and the things where one needs to take care are simple:

1. Don't over-grease it

2. Don't kink it

3. Make sure the square drive is fully inserted in both transmission and instrument sockets before retightening the knurled nut at the back of the gauge.

Heck, if you're going to take out the instrument for service, you're going to be into the cable anyway. Take a chance on lubing the cable and checking for kinks before you've gone to the effort/expense/risk of having an instrument serviced that might not need it.

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys,

I know this is an old post, but I need to strip my Jaegar Speedo in my 4A which is behaving erratically. Alan T was offering a 'Repairing Jaegar and Smiths Speedometer  guide' to anybody that wanted them. I have tried to message Alan T, but it seems that he is not receiving messages?

Does anybody have a copy that  they could e-mail me on rvwp@yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks

Rich

Thank's Charlie D/Bob,

The PDF supplied by Charlie looks like it should provide enough info to start a diagnostic strip down of my speedo. Might get back to you Bob if I get stuck. t

Thanks, Rich

Be very careful not to damage the hair spring.

A likely cause of an erratic needle is a worn bearing bush which is located inside the input shaft.

This allows the shaft (& the aluminium disc) to wobble, & if it touches the spinning magnet will cause the needle to jump around.

Bob

My Speedo has suddenly become erratic this year. I suspect I need to check the cable.  I have some graphite lubricant that I have used with some success in the past so I will give it a try with that.  Unfortunately it won’t be for a few days as I have been struck down by the dreaded lurgy (COVID), and am currently suffering from a high temperature and a cough. 

Rgds Ian

4 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

My Speedo has suddenly become erratic this year. I suspect I need to check the cable.  I have some graphite lubricant that I have used with some success in the past so I will give it a try with that.  Unfortunately it won’t be for a few days as I have been struck down by the dreaded lurgy (COVID), and am currently suffering from a high temperature and a cough. 

Rgds Ian

Hope you get well soon Ian and it doesn’t get you too hard.