17 hours ago, Hamish said:

Never mind the hp ( which is impressive)

check out that torque figure.  

Hi Hamish,

I am hopeful to release more torque from the engine actually.

The cars runs 16psi of boost (peak), tailing off to 11psi at the limiter. Norris Motorport (who I have used before to map my other TR6 on EFI), offer a stage two upgrade, that allows a mid-range over boost of 20psi, before tailing off to 16psi at the limiter. This set-up offers stronger mid-range torque (320lbs ft) over their stage one set-up.  Tested by Performance Ford when they originally developed this conversion back in 2002 at Bruntingthorpe, on two 3dr Sierra Cosworth’s we managed 0 – 60mph in 5.0 seconds, 0 – 100mph in 12.3 seconds and a top speed of 156mph.

With that level of power has the frame been beefed up or would a factory hard top be required for track use?  Aren’t original frames even in good condition a bit spongy?

Edited by charlie74
8 hours ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Hamish,

I am hopeful to release more torque from the engine actually.

The cars runs 16psi of boost (peak), tailing off to 11psi at the limiter. Norris Motorport (who I have used before to map my other TR6 on EFI), offer a stage two upgrade, that allows a mid-range over boost of 20psi, before tailing off to 16psi at the limiter. This set-up offers stronger mid-range torque (320lbs ft) over their stage one set-up.  Tested by Performance Ford when they originally developed this conversion back in 2002 at Bruntingthorpe, on two 3dr Sierra Cosworth’s we managed 0 – 60mph in 5.0 seconds, 0 – 100mph in 12.3 seconds and a top speed of 156mph.

That’s serious boost on a 1970’s engine. 
you must admit a Ford cosworth (Sierra era) is a step change from the tr.

I presume on a seriously strong steel cranked engine. 

On 2/23/2021 at 7:59 PM, charlie74 said:

With that level of power has the frame been beefed up or would a factory hard top be required for track use?  Aren’t original frames even in good condition a bit spongy?

The chassis has been strengthened on the bridge section and wishbone areas on the chassis, which are notoriously weak.  To do a proper job, it is a body off situation, to add an extra plate on the two pins for the diff.  That said, the engine was installed in 1990, and has been on the road every year ever since, so it is holding up well. Car also has a hardtop, and that would perhaps be prudent to install at some point.  That was purchased brand new from the dealer in 1977, still have the receipt.  Think it was £150.  

On 2/23/2021 at 8:24 PM, Hamish said:

That’s serious boost on a 1970’s engine. 
you must admit a Ford cosworth (Sierra era) is a step change from the tr.

I presume on a seriously strong steel cranked engine. 

Hi Hamish,

It is one hell of an engine, to say the YB Cosworth engine was released in around 1984. Very flexible power delivery, and has the sensation of a powerful diesel engine with the torque generated. I am not sure it has a steel crank.

My Cadillac ATS has the smallest engine option, 2 litre turbo. It has a boost gauge which lets you see what it's doing, reaching 20 psi for an instant then dropping  ( I'm sure it would fry the engine otherwise ).

295 lb-ft of torque, 272 BHP.

I reckon overheating is the limiting factor here too.

My engine builder says it's been long known that iron engines will deliver more power than alloy ones because they don't lose heat as rapidly. What fries first is my question: I'm guessing pistons...

Tom

24 minutes ago, ntc said:

The engine is strong only gripe is when I got my new Cosy powered car from Ford for warranty the oil and filter had to be replaced at 3000miles just saying 

I will certainly be having the oil changed regularly, as I do with my other 6.  The ECU by today's standards are not that intelligent, and some of the bigger injectors just pour fuel in like a hose pipe, so you get bore washing.  Will always be using very good quality oils, and used my last genuine Motorcraft oil filter, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

The recommissioning process continued at Covert Classics & Sports Cars yesterday. New wheel cylinders, competition brake linings, and fresh Wilwood high temp 570 degree brake fluid.  Also got chance to attach the new grille badge, which I had made and designed, based on the original badge.

Picture attached.

TDR.jpg

• 1 year later...

It has been a while since I last did an update here, life & work get in the way from time to time.

Work as follows:-

Rebuilt T5 gearbox.

New 3 piece Helix uprated clutch.

Re-faced flywheel.

NOS rear crank main seal.

New spigot push.

ARP flywheel bolts.

Uprated propshaft.

New seals & bearings in the TR6 diff.

Hybrid T3 turbo charger. Externally, looks standard, but has some trick internals, including a billet compressor wheel, which means it flows more air over a standard T3 turbo charger, plus 360 degree bearings, to cope more reliably with higher boost pressure.

Green injectors.

3" exhaust from turbo to tail-pipe tip.

Bastuck heavy-duty rear telescopic brackets, with Koni dampers.

Reconditioned TR6 trailing arms, with Red competition bushes.

Front Koni dampers

Uprated front anti-roll bar drop links.

New M/Cs.

New EBC brake pads.

Wilwood high temperature brake fluid.

Next mod: Toilet seat for the pilot !

3 Exhaust.jpg

Edited by TRTOM2498PI
8 hours ago, CK's TR6 said:

Greg Lund lived in the next town over. Superb car. He even had fabricated his own A arms to fix front suspension geometry. Emailed Lee Jansen a couple times too.  Both cars outrageously nice. 

http://www.tiggersavage.com/overview_gl.htm

That is rather impressive !  I wonder what power it is producing ?

A 3" exhaust can be made to pass through the chassis breast plate, but you have to install the upper breast plate upside down to allow the clearance.  This is what we did to my TR6.

Would be good to see further pictures of this car.

Thanks very much for posting.

I’m a little confused, how does installing the upper plate increase the space available to the exhaust, it would surely make less space as the “hump” on the plate would protrude down into the space available? 

Niall

14 hours ago, TRier said:

I’m a little confused, how does installing the upper plate increase the space available to the exhaust, it would surely make less space as the “hump” on the plate would protrude down into the space available? 

Niall

Hi Niall,

I hope the attached image helps here.

tr6 bp.jpg

13 hours ago, CK's TR6 said:

how about take take the stock single tube exhaust, cut it down the middle and weld in filler straps so that it just fits through the the T shirt area, side to side. basically a big oval, the cross section increase would be huge. 

We were going to have a 'flat' put on the exhaust, as it passes the breast plate, then increase the diameter as it comes out, but for ultimate power & flow, we achieved a 3" from turbo to tail-pipe tip.

Edited by TRTOM2498PI
14 hours ago, TRier said:

Niall

What he meant was install an upper plate with the hump to the underneath instead of the normal flat lower plate.

Stuart.

Cross section of 3" pipe is 7.07 in sq. Split 2.5" pipe with 1" section added, cross section is 7.41 in sq. A square section 3.5" wide by 2.5" tall is 8.75 in sq.  a 23% increase over a 3" pipe (a 78% increase over a single 2.5" pipe). Greg Lund's exhaust had a lot of rectangular sections to fit through the T shirt area and then to the muffler.