TR4 Handbrake assembly

Good Morning everyone, I am struggling here with this handbrake re-installation. Maybe someone who has done this can help

I only have the drawing in the Parts book to go by as Moss and the workshop manual have all used the same one. I'll attach it .

I have laid out the handbrake in my shot as I am trying to put it together

Its not working , I am missing something really basic here and i cannot see what it is. ( I've tried staring at it )

My question is when you push the button at the top end of the lever it should release the pawl from the ratchet, right?

you can see how I have it , thats not going to work. its going to push the pawl Towards the ratchet away from the pawl stop pin you see in the base.

Also what is that hole in the top end of the ratchet for? , doesn't show it in the drawing , but another one on ebay has the hole!!?

If I've just got something around the wrong way I'd appreciate some input otherwise I'll keep staring until I get it .

Thank you all post-12921-0-18626700-1459438856_thumb.jpgpost-12921-0-16252800-1459438883_thumb.jpgpost-12921-0-89743500-1459438904_thumb.jpg

Hey Roger, I know what you mean jelly bean, from looking at that shot, I cant see it on the handle though!! do you think It may have been paint?

I cleaned it up with a blade and took another picture, tell me if you can still see a crack

These things have been known to "fly-off" when it's not wanted. Especially if the pawl gets a bit worn.

So if you are parking in San Franciso or some such, turn the wheels so they point into the kerb.

We all used to do that and leave in reverse gear because British cars traditionally had rubbish handbrakes.

I still always park in reverse gear. Used to give my kids a fright when they tried moving my car sometimes.

3,029 miles and if you've ever driven I-10 through Louisiana and Texas you sure wouldn't want to be in a TR4.

I like my 'fly away' handbrake now that I know how it works, ( Thank you all for that ) I have fitted a new pawl and pivot pins,

I'm going to stick to doing handbrake turns between the coconut trees in Miami.

very best regards to you all

• 3 years later...