Electronic Tachometer conversion

Hello All

Has any body had experiance of this man?

http://urevco.com/

The kit looks good and easy to fit(no drilling of extra holes in dial face)

I have converted my brother in laws TR6 to Megajolt and now he would like to(get me to) remove the distributor and convert the tachometer.

I obtained a Smiths tachometer of Triumph 2500 type and was going to use that, but I like the look of this kit more.

I have emailed Marco and asked if it will work on Megajolt and he says it should be ok and has offered to send me one that is set up to try and if it does not work to refund my money.

So at about £72/£75 includind p&p it looks good.

Roger

ps we have just had a week in Sicily and came down this road(now that's how to put a bend in the road?) only in a little Panda

post-7600-0-44739600-1459342487_thumb.jpg

Hi Roger.

Can't help you I'm afraid, but I have had mine converted by JDO and am very disappointed already sent it back once but it still over reads and is erratic, John is now not replying to my emails.

I would be very interested in your results, as looking at the video it looks a lot smoother.

Good luck Mark.

Hello Marki

Marco has offered to send me one free of charge to try and if it works ok then to pay him or send back if not suitable so I have said yes as I can not loose!

I will not have access to the TR6 for a few weeks but I can test it on my Spitfire which runs Megajolt as well

Roger.

ps I may try on our Moggie Traveller as well which only has electronic points

Edited by rogerguzzi

Hello Mark

I e-mailed him to ask advice and he replied and picked it up on this forum.

I think there may be a few who are interested in this bit of kit? (perhaps I could start a new business? no way I can not keep up with my own jobs)

Roger

Edited by rogerguzzi

I had mine done at Speedy Cables.

The conversion was sympathetic as although now electronic it utilised the magnetic coupling so its function resembles the original.

Took a while though!

Hello All

Marco has offered to send me a unit with a paper dial and needle fitted similar to a Triumph Spitfire and pre wired and set up to try on our cars.

I will let you all know how I get on

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

An update on the Tachometer Kit.

Marco very kindly sent me one to try without payment.

It arrived yesterday and I have done some tests on my Spitfire.

I found I could run the original tachometer and the new mech at the same time off the Megajolt plus I set up the laptop so I could see the RPM in the Megajolt software.

To my suprise they all agreed within a gnats.

I also tried it on our old Moggy and it seemed ok(just jumped now and then but may be poor connection or the CHEAP electronic points conversion or Knackered springs in the distributor.

I have video if any one would like it(about 15 and 20 meg MP4)I am not clever enough to get it smaller or post on you thingy(but some one else is welcome to do it?)

The new mech may be very slightly slower at returning than the one in the car(not enough to worry about if not side by side I dont think you would notice)

youtube link I think

Just made it public(to complicated for me)

and another I think

last one honest

Roger

Edited by rogerguzzi

Many (many) years ago I swapped a second-hand MG electronic tacho with the one in my Vitesse. Easy to connect and worked a treat,. If this is for a Spitfire (with smaller clocks, I think) I'd be looking for a second-hand MGB unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All

Just an update on the Tachometer conversion.

I found after removing the old mechanism the new unit dropped straight in it just required a 2mm spacer at the back.

The hole in the needle is the same (1mm dia) you just have to shorten the spindle by about 2mm and shorten the back of the needle by about 2/3mm.

It just required the back of the mechanism drilling to match the casing and fixing by tapping the holes or self tappers(I tapped the holes and used 2 x 4mm screws shortened to suit)make sure they are not to long or they would touch the PCB!!!

The dial fits without drilling any more holes the existing holes line up with the slots in the mechanism and it is attached with the screws and nuts supplied in the kit.

Then just add cables to suit your own car (Don't forget to calibrate it before fitting into the case)Just follow Marco's instructions.

When tested on my brother in laws TR6 it was accurate when compared to the Megajolt software screen.

So he is very pleased with the result.

Roger

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the update Roger, that is a job on my list!

Is there a website to buy from?

Steve

Hello Steve

As in post 1 or there is a link to Italian Amazon which would probably save some p&p

https://urevco.com/info/

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01CEI3IGS

From Marco,s site you can download all the information and fitting instructions.

I found after removing the old mechanism the new unit dropped straight in it just required a 2mm spacer at the back.

The hole in the needle is the same (1mm dia) you just have to shorten the spindle by about 2mm and shorten the back of the needle by about 2/3mm.

It just required the back of the mechanism drilling to match the casing and fixing by tapping the holes or self tappers(I tapped the holes and used 2 x 4mm screws shortened to suit)make sure they are not to long or they would touch the PCB!!!

The dial fits without drilling any more holes the existing holes line up with the slots in the mechanism and it is attached with the screws and nuts supplied in the kit.

Then just add cables to suit your own car (Don't forget to calibrate it before fitting into the case)Just follow Marco's instructions.

When tested on my brother in laws TR6 it was accurate when compared to the Megajolt software screen.

Roger

• 7 months later...

I’ve finally decided to go with the 123 tune+, ordered this morning, so now need to convert my tacho.

Like the URevCo product, but doesnt seem to be available on Amazon at the moment?

Anyone know where i can buty this, or is it NLA?

Steve

Hi Steve,

post 13 suggests it can be purchased direct from UrevCo.

Roger

Thanks Roger, i have emailed them amd looked on Amazon but its NCA.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

I’m struggling to get in touch with Urevco

About christmas i had an email exchange and was assured ‘theyll be availabe in january’

Since then no response and the email id seems to have died.

Any suggestions as i need to convert the tacho since fitting the 123tune+!

Steve

Hello Steve, had mine done by Speedy Cables as part of my Efi project, a lovely job but god knows where 'Speedy' comes from, it took them 6 months!! So beware if you are in a rush, cheers, Andrew