As the first pic shows, the on-line purchased fuel filter is a lot bigger that it looked on the website and is wider than the gap between the solid pipe and the first fuel bowl.

First option is just buy a shorter filter and leave the fuel line as is - maybe also cutting the solid pipe back a bit to afford a little more room

Second option seems to be to fabricate a mount to sit the filter above the water pump as suggested in the second pic. There doesn't seem to be anywhere obvious to mount the filter? Also, if I do this is is appropriate to replace the fuel line along the block with a flexible hose as per the pic.

I assume that it is better to have solid pipe and fewer joins - thus option 1 ?

IMG_8791_zps7jkweegf.jpg

IMG_8796_zpsioqck2sd.jpg

What about running the fuel line via the rear of the engine and having the filter fastened to the bulkhead ? On the pic you can see the top of the filter sticking out. I just had to swap the float lids.

post-11469-0-78204600-1459100376_thumb.jpg